No announcement yet.

RAS RS1000 Crosscut capacity

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAS RS1000 Crosscut capacity

Hello all,

I am new to this forum and a novice as well. I searched ths forums but can't seem to find anything that answers this question. If you don't mind, I have a novice-type question:

Recently I have been in the market for either a SCMS or a RAS. I was looking at the RIDGID Radial Arm Saw #RS1000 and the Makita 10" SCMS. The SCMS has a deeper cutting capacity at 3 5/8" while the Ridgid RAS is only 3".

I don't understand. Both machine have 10" blades yet one cuts deeper than than other.

On the RS1000 there is about 3 1/4" between the lowest point of the blade and the lowest point of the motor housing, hence a 3" capacity. More than likely the motor placement on the CMS allows for a little more room. Keep in mind though that the capacity limit on the RAS is only for one pass. Say you needed to cut a 6" thick piece of material. You can raise the arm 3" above the table and cut your piece in passes. Make your first cut, then turn the piece over and make the final cut. You won't have the same capability on a CMS or SCMS.

Also, if you think you'll want to cross cut any wider pieces, you can cut a 16" stroke on the RS1000. Not sure what the capacity is on the other saw your considering.

\"Last year we couldn\'t win at home.<BR>This year we can\'t win on the road.<BR>My failure as a coach is that I <BR>can\'t think of anyplace else to play.\"<BR> - Coach Harry Neale, Canucks

Thank you for the information. I think you're right. I seem to remember a removable piece on the back of the housing that, once removed, might offer a deeper cut. I should go have a closer look at it and see if this is, in fact, the case. If so, that would be great, as long as the risks of doing so didn't outweigh the benefit of the xtra capacity.

Thanks again