X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router or left or right of ts?

I am wondering if its better to mount my benchdog router table on right or left side of my r4512 table saw.

I believe most people mount it on the right side, but I'm thinking if its mounted on the left I can take advantage of an outfeed table. Any coments about Left Vs Right?
    Last edited by johncameron; 02-19-2013, 01:55 PM. Reason: cant edit title?

Re: Router or left or right of ts?

John,

I think it pretty much depends on the layout of your shop and how you position your table saw. Personally, I prefer my router table to be completely independent as I've often found that for many operations it's good to have the two processes separate and ready to go, or move back and forth between the two.

I do have a router mounting accessory table on the right-side of my table saw (BT3100), but it provides something less of a surface and working ability than my separated Rockler table. I can move the two tables into position or out of the way as needed.

CWS

Comment

if one mounts it on the right hand side, one can still cut lumber with the saw with out taking down or lowering the router, on the left hand side, it would be in the way of many cuts on the saw, and would have to be removed, and if one is using the table saw fence as a fence on the router one would have to lower the blade on many saws to slide the fence over the blade and you would have to remove any sacrificial fence material off the fence to saw with, and depending on what or how you make your table it may allow one to increase the table saw size so one can use the fence to cut up to 50 inches between fence and blade, great for cutting sheet good accuracy, ,
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

thanks guys, It does make sense that I will probably want to use both without messing with set-up.
        I was originally thinking the out feed was most important. I'm now thinking right side inst.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
          if one mounts it on the right hand side, one can still cut lumber with the saw with out taking down or lowering the router, on the left hand side, it would be in the way of many cuts on the saw, and would have to be removed, and if one is using the table saw fence as a fence on the router one would have to lower the blade on many saws to slide the fence over the blade and you would have to remove any sacrificial fence material off the fence to saw with, and depending on what or how you make your table it may allow one to increase the table saw size so one can use the fence to cut up to 50 inches between fence and blade, great for cutting sheet good accuracy, ,
          Mounted it on the right and realized that the fence had hardly any room on the right. The other thing I did not like was the foot or so of fence track that sticks out beyond the edge of the router table.

I moved it to the left hand side and am much happier. I can move the ts fence anywhere and still have a moderate amount of space for stock on the left.

Comment

glad you got it the way you want it,
            IF I was going to mount on my saw, I would do it on the right but I have a table that I can slide the fence off ot he right about 50+ inches from the blade, so I have a lot of room on the right,

but I ended buying a shaper that is free standing and never have mounted the router,
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Thanks, It works for me. Yes, I have the same thing on my ts, but if you mount the rt on the right it will restrict fence space. My main concern is ripping boards where I need the open space on the right. If I need to crosscut long boards, I will use my miter saw.
              Thanks a million for the advice.

Comment

Working...
              X