X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4512 a good beginers saw?

I know this saw had some issues (blade alignment when raised and 2 piece rail). I've read that the blade issue is fixed and I've read that it still might not be fixed. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on it. I think I can get it for around $400 maybe less if they will take a Harbor Freight $20 off coupon. I think I'll give it a gamble since I can return it if it still has issues. I'll use it for hobby wood working, start off with some simple furniture and boxes.

Thoughts? Is it worth trying out?

Re: R4512 a good beginers saw?

I don't own the 4512, but certainly have looked at it and examined it closely. I have a Ryobi BT3100 which by comparison is a much lighter saw, though with many great features. I would say, to some degree, the 4512 would be a decent step up of me... so, it certainly should be quite acceptable for not only a first saw, but also a saw for almost any shop for long-term use.

Unquestionably there are bigger and better saws, and certainly saws that are more appropriate when one needs portability from one job site to another. But I'm of the impression that the 4512, if the kinks have been worked out, is a pretty decent piece of equipment. There is a very similar saw wearing the Craftsman brand, and I believe there is another wearing perhaps the OEM brand. (Sorry, I can't remember who exactly makes this.) The one advantage to the "Ridgid" branded saw is the opportunity to pick up the LLSA (Limited Lifetime Service Agreement), which is only obtained with proper registration. Without registration into the LLSA program, Ridgid provides a 3-year warranty. By comparison, the Craftsman-branded saw provides only a one-year warranty.

In any case, that is MY opinion! I'm sure other members who actually own this model will chime in with their experience.

BTW... Welcome to the Ridgid forum and I wish you best of luck with whatever you buy. Above everything else, if this is your first saw, make sure that you educate yourself to the max, and practice all safety measures.... wood cutting tools can be exceptionally dangerous!

CWS

Comment

My boss bought that saw last year when we started building the house I'm just wrapping up....in my mind that was the best 400.00 bucks he ever spent.

Comment

Re: R4512 a good beginners saw?

my first table saw a old black and decker skill saw bolted to a piece of plywood setting across two saw horses, and a pieces of angle iron and two clamps for the fence,

and my second one was an AMT saw for $29.99 with the deluxe ball bearings, out of the back of a popular mechanics magazine, the add is from 1964 the second add is later add, and more of there tools,

simply put I would not recomend the old AMT tools they were low cost and would work but not very handy or safe,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        I would not be afraid to start out on it, or to have it currently if I need a new or different saw, It looks like a "hybrid" saw, not exactly a contractors saw and not really a cabinet saw, but a blend of the two, it should be a fine saw. for a beginner or a seasoned wood worker.
        Attached Files
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

IMHO, @ $500, the 4512 is the most table saw the hobbyist can get today. at $400, after the HF 20% coupon, it's an even better deal. and it could serve one for a lifetime, as have my emerson electric built c-man and ridgid 10" CI TSs. it's a fine starter saw. don't be dissuaded by voices that might encourage you to "buy your last saw first" and encsourage the purchase of a tricked out $3500 sawstop PCS. i fully expect to pass my saws ( the c-man dates from the 70s) along to my sons. no reason the 4512 couldn't potentially perform the same way for you.
          there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I did a lot of research before I bought mine. One thing that concerned me was the blade height changing its alignment. A later issue I found was that the packing material would allow the saw to move allowing the height adjustment to hit one of the rails and dent it. This was reportedly corrected by putting a sleeve over the height adj. rod. I checked mine at the store to make sure there was a protective sleeve on the height adj bolt next to the rail. I didn't have any problems setting it up. It did take 3 times to adjust the 2 part rails so the seam was negligable. The only other adjustment that took some time was adjusting the riving knife. It would move when I tightened up the bolts. Blade to miter and fence to miter alignment was ok. There is IMHO a lot of play in miter gauge bar, so I replaced it with an Incra 1000HD.
            I had a Craftsman before and the differnce is like night and day.
            For a start up saw for $400 (I also got the 20% HF discount), I don't think you'd be disappointed.
            Good Luck
            Mike
            Last edited by me5269; 02-21-2013, 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling fix oops
            Mike

Comment

I think I will give it a go. I have some HD gift cards and a Lowes store wide 10% coupon which should bring my out of pocket down to around $350 before tax. Maybe less if they take a Harbor Freight 20% coupon and I can keep the 10% for something else. If it still has the blade issue then I can return. Just not looking forward to spending 3 hours building it then return it due to poor quality. I plan on upgrading to a Incra miter gauge any ways along with making a cross cut sled. I will also get a good ripping blade.

Thanks for your comments.

Comment

I think you'll be happy with that choice. Even though you'll spend 3 or more hours assembling and fine tuning it, that option to return it if not safisfied with no questions asked is a nice plus. Buying another brand will still require the same amount of assembly and fine tuning time but returning it, if not happy with it, could end up being a huge hassle. Your choice of an Incra miter gauge is also a good one. I usually have an Incra 1000SE on my table saw and also have an Incra V120 that sees duty on both the table saw and my bandsaw. To be honest, most times the V120 is all the miter gauge I need. Enjoy your new saw!
                Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

check out this write up from regdor1999 on unpacking and setting up the 4512. The 4th picture down shows the problem I mentioned about the packing problem. HD should let you open it up and inspect it before you purchase it.
                  Mike

Comment

I replaced my Ryobi BT3100 with a R4512 last year. The Ryobi found a new home with my son and him and I are both very happy with our new saws. Yes, my blade adjustment was slightly off when I got the saw but it was easy to adjust. Also, my blade will go out of alignment when raising the blade but only in the last half turn or so of the max height adjustment. Otherwise, it stays dead-on when I raise or lower the blade throughout the range where I use the saw the vast majority of time.

I would buy this saw again in a minute. It is that good. And quite the bargin with the HF 20% discount. But note that not all Home Depots honor the HF discount. At least, in my area.

Comment

Originally posted by grunt58 View Post
                      I know this saw had some issues (blade alignment when raised and 2 piece rail). I've read that the blade issue is fixed and I've read that it still might not be fixed. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on it. I think I can get it for around $400 maybe less if they will take a Harbor Freight $20 off coupon. I think I'll give it a gamble since I can return it if it still has issues. I'll use it for hobby wood working, start off with some simple furniture and boxes.

Thoughts? Is it worth trying out?
                      Please explain how you are using a HF coupon at Home Depot. Ive never heard of this.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigcim View Post
                        Please explain how you are using a HF coupon at Home Depot. Ive never heard of this.
                        You can get the HF coupon either at their stores when they are offering them (on their flyer) or if you go to their website and sign up. You will then get e-mail ads. Eventually, one will contain the 20% discount coupon.

What I did is call Home Depots around my house which had the saw in stock and asked them if they honored this coupon. One said yes.

Comment

Originally posted by wrj View Post
                          You can get the HF coupon either at their stores when they are offering them (on their flyer) or if you go to their website and sign up. You will then get e-mail ads. Eventually, one will contain the 20% discount coupon.

What I did is call Home Depots around my house which had the saw in stock and asked them if they honored this coupon. One said yes.
                          Thank you thats what I meant. Ive heard of them price matching but not coupon matching on brands they dont sell. Anyone tried the on stores in socal

Comment

Just a side note, Just got an email from Rockler. The Incra 1000HD miter on sale for $120 ($70 off).
                            Mike

Comment

Well I bought the Ridgid R4512 last night. Decided to give it a try. I got it for around $315 out of my pocket. Best part is I had a 25% off Harbor Freight coupon and they took it. Also had back up 20% HF and a 10% Lowes. With the 25% discount and $85 bucks worth of HD gift cards as I said it only came to $315 out of pocket. To me $315 was worth a gamble. I opened it in the store didn't see any damamge. I had read a post about the rail being damaged.

I'll get it built this weekend or next. I'm excited to try it out I hope after all of this I'm not let down. After I tune it and run some boards I'll report back my thoughts.

Comment

Working...
                              X