X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crown molding angles

I need some expert help, I am ready to pull my hair out....I live in an "A" frame house; the walls are a 22.5 degree angle. I am trying and I stress TRYING to install crown molding, any ideas on how to find the proper angle, I have looked at the dewalt website and it talks about standard angles but no help if the wall is 22.5 before you even start to find compound angles for the molding. Any help would save my hair and marriage.
    Thanks

try http://www.woodworking.org/

Comment

...wood putty!

Comment

I think I would stand the crown in my mitre saw and cut then cut a 22.5 bevel and cope the molding in.

Set the crown upside down at the angle necessary to make the top sit flat on the saw. Then swing the bevel over to 22.5 and cut this should give you an edge you can then cope to the surface of the crown on the horizontal wall. Then get lots of wood putty. [img]smile.gif[/img]
        Rev Ed

Comment

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/mitercalc.html

I do not know if this will help?

Comment

The odd bevel and miter settings for crown molding are only used (and useful) if you cut the molding while it is sitting flat on the miter saw table.

If you cut the molding while orienting it with the wall flat on the table and the ceiling flat on the fence, then you set the bevel for 0 and the miter for half of whatever your wall angle is. At least in theory, this will duplicate the results obtained using the first method and the odd settings.

For instance, using the latter method, set the bevel for 0 and the miter for 45 degrees. This should produce the same cut as laying the molding flat and cutting with a miter of 31.625 degrees and a bevel of 33.875 degrees.

I can't find a table of bevel and miter settings for flat cutting for walls of other than 90 degrees subtended angle (nominal). Using the second method, you don't need such a table.

All that said, mitering crown molding only works well if the walls and ceiling are perfectly flat and the angles between them are exactly 90 degrees. That condition, insofar as I can tell, exists only in theory. In the real world, cope.

Comment

Working...
            X