X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bigger motor......more power!

Has anyone out there put a bigger motor, 2 or 3 HP, in their R4511 saw?

Re: Bigger motor......more power!

~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

I'm not going to come right out and say it can't or shouldn't be done but don't you think that if they designed it to handle a larger motor they would have put one in it? Or, at least made it an option?
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I am thinking that they put the smaller motor in to keep the price down.

Comment

You think wrong. The frame is not strong enough. You will void any warranty as well as the UL listing. You will probably hurt yourself or others.

Here's the problem! I found it!!

Last edited by Plumber Punky; 03-07-2013, 10:23 PM.
          ~~

Comment

If it is a standard frame motor i do not know why not,
            my guess is the reason for the size they choose is to keep it operating on a 120 volt standard circuit.

Last edited by BHD; 03-07-2013, 10:20 PM.
            Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
            attributed to Samuel Johnson
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              If it is a standard frame motor i do not know why not,
              my guess is the reason for the size they choose is to keep it operating on a 120 volt standard circuit.

<video goes here>
              The difference between the rube goldberg chainsaw and a commercial product is that, ironically, the RG-chainsaw was designed for it's application. Though, the 2 guys getting pulled into the log was amusing.

If a larger motor is installed into a frame not designed for it, when it goes wrong, it's going to go wrong HUGE.
              Last edited by Plumber Punky; 03-07-2013, 10:31 PM.
              ~~

Comment

I have a R4511 and also a 3hp cabinet saw. The R4511 used to cover and still could, about 90% of my hobbyist needs and is a great saw for its size and price point.

Looking under the hood of both there is a vast difference between the two, and it is really impressive. The R4511 would not be able to stand, for long, the extra demand that higher torque and motor size would put on the gears, bearings, etc.

For what its worth, most of the time I don't notice a great deal of difference when working with 4/4 stock on either saw and I use a full kerf blade on the 4511. Thicker stock and harder woods, yeah the 3hp breezes through with less burning and effort.

Comment

I had another thought on your post, as I had that same question a few years back. Since you have asked it and thought about more power for your saw, then you probably have already looked in a Woodcraft, or online at some of the 3-5hp industrial grade cabinet saws. I did.

Once I saw the one that looked like it had everything on it I would want I could never shake it out of my head, but for the longest time felt like maybe that would be too much for a weekend hobbyist.

So year one passed and I still wanted the saw I picked out but I passed on a 15% off sale still feeling the same about spending that much. Year two, last March, same sale came up and it was a Saturday and the sale ended Sunday night. I was now agonizing trying to talk myself out of it. I figured the easiest way to do that was tell my wife about the sale and the price of the saw figuring that would stop any indecision I had cold.

She looked at me and said "you should get it since you like your hobby and power tools so much so get it and build us some nice things." I tried to act cool about nearly dashing back upstairs and placing my order. One week later it was on my floor and I should have done it 2years ago.

Joy of use, fit and finish, and the efficient design. Well I love my power tools and the more solidly they are built the more I like em. Just me, and just saying, but if you are getting that bug................

Comment

IF that saw can not handle a 3 hp motor of approx equal weight then the saw would be going bad with a 1 1/2 hp motor,
                    https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t24939/

all your doing is turning a shaft, you have heavy duty drills that will twist you arms off with a 1/2 diameter shaft, and you do not twist the shaft off in a drill, and I can guarantee you the torque produced by a 1/2 inch drill is more than 5 foot pounds, drill shaft is many times of that of a 3 hp motor at 3400 rpm, (see below) and has smaller shaft,

I have a old 9" Rockwell contractors saw, and it has a 2 or 3 Hp motor I put on it it does not know it is more than 1 1/2 hp, the motor I put on it is off a old compressor that went bad,

First of all the torque produced by a 1 1/2 hp motor at 3400 rpm is about 17 inch pounds, or 2.3 foot pounds,
                    so say one ups that to a 3 ho motor, that would about 25 inch pounds or about 4.6 foot pounds of torque, take a torque wrench and see what 4 foot pounds is or 25 inch pounds are, (NOT MUCH)
                    Electrical Motors - HP, Torque and RPM
                    (it is not hammering or pulsating, jsut turning)

the only really limiting factor is the weight of the motor, and possibly the size of the pulleys and belt configuration and there griping ability or HP rating,

but here is the deal even if the belt is maxed out on the griping ability at full power of the larger motor, 90 to 95 percent of your cutting (as all ready stated) will be pulling less power than the normal motor rating or under the 1 1/2 hp original rating, but for those few times you do need the more power for some thing heavier it will in most shops far and few between, and if it is a problem keep a spare belt on hand,

some one asked why it was not offered with more HP choices when sold, (my guess is it is simple inventory and simplify for the seller and the manufacture) choice is not a big item it seems on Home depot or ITT and Ridgid and there wood working offerings, (people have asked for years for a battery grinder, AEG makes one and uses the same battery as Ridgid and same company ITT, but does Ridgid offer it, NO, how many times on the board do you hear of some one wanting some tool to show up at there Home Depot, and they never do, why offer more choices? ("you can have a model T in any color you want as long as it is black", Henry Ford)

IF it was my saw I doubt if it would bother me to up the HP if i could find the proper motor to do it, the HP increase would not bother me any,
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The size of the motor was most likely determined by cost and what market segment Ridgid was going for. They were looking for something that can run on 115 volts and 15 amps. That is pretty much your limit. If they put a more powerful motor on they would constantly getting complaints that its tripping 15 amps or even 20 amp 115 circuits if anything else was on it. If they made it 230 volt only then a lot of potential buyer wouldn't be able to use it unless they have a 230 volt circuit available. Or they would factor in the cost to have one run.

I would guess that a 2 hp motor could be used if you had the occasional cut that would require the increase in power. But if you were constantly needing the extra power then a bigger more powerful saw would be a better investment. Constantly putting the power from a larger motor through the saw is only going to wear parts out faster and put more stress on parts then they were designed to for.

Comment

Working...
                      X