X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chipout on edge?

I was routing a rabbet on the edge of a piece of 1/2" cherry - 1/2" wide by 1/4" deep. I snuck up on the width with a 1/16" depth rabbet. Once I had the width right I then snuck up on the depth. I think it was on the last couple of passes over the router bit (in a router table) that the outside edge of the rabbet seemed to get some chipout. The rabbet is with the grain. The chipout is not that great but the edge is not as smooth as I thought it would be. I was using a 3/4" straight bit. My only thought on the cause was my feed rate. It wasn't fast but maybe not slow enough. I'd read that cherry has a tendancy to burn so I think I was reluctant to go too slow.

Any thoughts on what would cause this chipout would be appreciated.

Hard to say without seeing the type of chip out. A few thoughts----

Straight cutters and rabbet bits are made somewhat differently---perhaps the different cutter design on the rabbet bit would have been better.

Did you check for any grain direction changes? If you had grain angled down, pointed at the bit in direction of feed, that could have done it. In these cases, making the last few passes very small could help.
    Dave

Comment

Bernie,

2 things. Chip out is a given, on almost everything. One, you can use a backer board to nearly eliminate chip out, or two, do as I do. Mill all the pieces over size, then cut to length. A good sharp 60 tooth cross grain on cherry works best, 80 burns, or chips with a feed rate not to burn. 40 combo blade if it's a rip, use a 3 angle grind on the teeth.

Brand of router bit mater as well. Cherry is very hard on router bits. When you see very minor imperfections in the milling, it's most likely a build up on the bit itself. Leaving it causes "hot spots" that damage the bit, causing the cutting capabilities to fade even faster. Let the bit cool naturally, then with an old tooth brush and simple green, clean the bit, and continue.

Best I can offer without above stated, "seeing the chip out".

Good luck!
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

Working...
      X