X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good vacuum cleaners?

Howdy, everyone. I thought an industrious forum like this might be a good place to ask about a related topic - cleanup. Whenever I finish a DIY home improvement project, my wife practically attacks me until I've vacuumed quite thoroughly. Thus, I figured I would need to replace the nasty, 10-year-old piece of junk that we found at a garage sale.

In any case, my findings led me to compile a little list of cheap vacuum cleaners that I tried out. I ended up settling for a very cheap tiny Bissell product that takes no bags and moves around very easily. I'm curious what vacuums you all use, and why. And whether you or your spouse does the vacuuming at home.
    "If music be the food of love, play on."
    My guide to the best inexpensive vacuum cleaners. -it seems like mine was always breaking! Thus the guide to good, cheap vacuums.

Re: Good vacuum cleaners?

my wife and My Daughter use the Ridgid 4 gallon portable vacuum, for the house (we have a Central vac in our house and she most of the time will pull out the Ridgid, (we have an adapter so we can use the normal home vacuum tools,(wife says, it has very good suction and it trails well).

my DD jsut uses the hose and tools that came with the unit,

RIDGID 4-Gal. Wet/Dry Vac WD4070 at The Home Depot

I have an old sears 30 gallon shop vac, for the shops, and farm, even with the wheel kit is a pain the a$$ to move, and it does not trail, (it trails about like trying to break a goat to lead)
    Last edited by BHD; 03-09-2013, 09:40 PM.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Riccar and craftsman shopvac
      Last edited by johncameron; 03-10-2013, 12:07 AM. Reason: cant get picture link to work

Comment

Originally posted by JReger View Post
        Howdy, everyone. I thought an industrious forum like this might be a good place to ask about a related topic - cleanup. Whenever I finish a DIY home improvement project, my wife practically attacks me until I've vacuumed quite thoroughly. Thus, I figured I would need to replace the nasty, 10-year-old piece of junk that we found at a garage sale.

In any case, my findings led me to compile a little list of cheap vacuum cleaners that I tried out. I ended up settling for a very cheap tiny Bissell product that takes no bags and moves around very easily. I'm curious what vacuums you all use, and why. And whether you or your spouse does the vacuuming at home.
        Are you looking for a shop vac or a house vac?

Are you wanting a cordless model if a house vac?

Nicest cordless stick vac the wife could find when looking 6 months ago was sold
        by Electrolux. Here's a link to a description on amazon.

We picked it up on sale at Boscos for $79 last Fall.
        It works great for small/quick jobs and has plenty of power and two speeds.
        No bags to deal with and you can pop the power unit out of the stick to use it
        as a handheld vac. Maneuvers easily and light as a feather. Works great on hard floor
        surfaces and most carpets. I say most because deep pile or shag does give it some
        resistance. Wife loves it and for the price you can't beat it. We both think its better
        than the other stick vacs out there. For storage just place it in the charging station
        which can be wall mounted or placed on the floor.

Our normal vac is a whole house vac made by NuTone and is late 80s vintage. Its
        still going and works well but I suspect that I will soon replace it.

When I do I was actually thinking of using a 16 gal shop vac with a cyclone separator
        mounted on a 32 gal trash can in place of the NuTone power unit. The power unit is in
        the garage so there is no noise in the house or basement which is nice. Using a shop vac
        would make replacing the power unit a simple task and could use just about any make/size
        shop vac. The shop vac would also cost less but I wonder how it would hold up to a half
        hour or more of continuous use.
        Last edited by Bob D.; 03-10-2013, 06:04 AM.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Bob they work fine that is what we used for the first 10 years or so in our house and (it was well used when I started with it) then I made my own out of a 100 lb grease drum and it has been going for nearly 20 years,
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I've been using a 12-gal Ridgid down here in the basement shop. Works quite well for just about everything and hooked up to my saws, drill press, or router table is does a very good job. I use a smaller hose extension (the Ridgid "car kit", I think it was) to clean up the benches and tools.) We actually use a little 4-gallon Ridgid for when I'm up stairs doing projects, as it's much easier to move from room to room.

I have one of those little Ridgid "Stingers", and though they work well, the hose is simply too short for most things.

My wife has tried several "uprights", with beater bar brush which works well at the other house which has wall-to-wall carpeting everywhere. (Here, all the floors are hardwood.) But, none of these uprights are a joy to use, has they are all quite heavy and cumbersome. She's only 4' 11 and I'm 5' 11 and frankly it even kills my back to push and pull these elephants around.

CWS

Comment

How much are you willing to spend? Festool is the best of the best, and their dust extractors have been getting rave reviews for a while.

Comment

For a house vacuum, my personal choice is the Shark Navigator Liftaway (the off-white one, available at wally-world or Bed Bath and Beyond). I've had mine for a year or so, and my ex-wive loves it so much she bought one just like mine for herself. It's a sealed HEPA system. I have cats and allergies so it helps quite a lot. It's light, maneuverable, works well on carpet, the hose can reach the ceiling, comes with attachments, and is easy to clean. Look for coupons from BB&B. Generally, BB&B coupons are good for 20% off one item. I used a BB&B coupon and got my Shark for around $150. (wally-world is around $179.)

For my very small shop, I don't have a lot of floor space (or money) so I have a small Dust Deputy on a 5 gallon bucket and a Rikon Dust Extractor. I will be mounting the DD on a modified (Woodsmith Shop pattern) vacuum caddy, vertically over the Rikon Dust Extractor. (I still don't believe the 0.5 (1/2) micron filter specification.). I hope this will work well. The Rikon Dust Extractor has a 4 in. hose, while the Dust Deputy has a 2-1/2" hose. Still, the air flow through the system should be alright.
                Last edited by mgbsteve137; 04-08-2013, 02:10 PM.

Comment

I use a rainbow vac due to dust allergies
                  these vacuums filter by using a canister of water (heavy I know) but its a very good machine
                  Rainbow® Cleaning System
                  shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X