dovetails

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dovetails

do I cut pins or tails first? I use a bandsaw and a chisel but find this slow and not always accurate. any recommendations on a dovetail jig not an expensive one thankyou for your responses

With the jigs you get what you pay for. Harbor Freight has an inexpensive one that will do the job, about $35. It is the same as some of the more expensive ones from rockler, jet, sears, and many others. The only ones I've used are that one and the Leigh(around $400). The differences are mainly ease of use, setup, capabilities and user manual. In either case a router dedicated to the jig will save you alot of time and frustration.
    www.TheWoodCellar.com

Comment

Here is a comparison article with some jigs reviewed. FWW Review I own the jig from Rockler, I would not purchase it again given the chance. I have also used the Keller Jigs. They are the easiest to use IMO but you are limited to through dovetails.

[ 05-14-2005, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Mark M ]

Comment

You should cut the tails first. Then you can use the tails to do the layout for the pins.

The best jig I have found is a sharp pencil, a sharp dovetail saw, and a sharp chisel.

Personally I do all my dovetail work by hand.

[ 06-28-2005, 07:08 AM: Message edited by: CARPENTERDON ]
        Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
        Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

Working...
        X