Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

cabinet builders, pro and hobby, I need your thoughts.

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cabinet builders, pro and hobby, I need your thoughts.

As many of you have figured out, I have a 32mm line drilling, patent allowed, invention. The system drills the holes used for mounting hinges, drawer slides, and shelf supports in frameless cabinetry but can be used for drilling shelf holes and hardware in certain face frame cabinets, book cases, etc. It's intended for use in smaller professional cabinet shops but can be used by serious hobbyists as well.

I am trying to decide whether to invest more time and money to produce and market a refined version of the product in quantity. I'm trying to see how many people would likely buy and use my product if it were available on store shelves , in tool catalogues or on line. I am finding that many shops that could use my system to great advantage have already invested thousands in semi automated heavy machinery to do the job.

I need to know how many shops are out there who use or are considering using frameless construction and 32mm line drilling for hardware and shelf installation who've not already invested big bucks.
    Last edited by schmitt32linedrill; 03-12-2013, 11:10 AM.

Re: cabinet builders, pro and hobby, I need your thoughts.

I have been thinking, I have made a few things over the years, and wondered if they merit trying to be marketed, first I am no salesman, and my location is very limiting, IMO and most were pre internet, so I never tryed,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

but wonderd if you have contacted any of the wood working magazines and see if they would do a review of your system/product, or even one of the PBS or Home and Garden wood working shows,

I would think of the modular design of the 32mm system it would be great for the beginner or the pro cabinet system, and even tho there is some investment, it is still lower cost, than buying cabinets and for many to put cabinets in there home or shop, it may be the only way to do it, basically a table saw, your jig, and using some type of European hinge jig, and a drill, and you could be building the 32mm cabinets, with relitive ease,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I'm curious. My dad is a custom cabinet builder and has been for many years. He doesn't build many frameless cabinets but he does use the 5mmx32mm inline method for shelving pegs. He uses a board with holes drilled in it, honest drives me nuts! He has a Blum euro hinge drill press, and I wish he'd buy the inline boring attachment for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
        I'm curious. My dad is a custom cabinet builder and has been for many years. He doesn't build many frameless cabinets but he does use the 5mmx32mm inline method for shelving pegs. He uses a board with holes drilled in it, honest drives me nuts! He has a Blum euro hinge drill press, and I wish he'd buy the inline boring attachment for it.

Thanks for your interest

My system would probably speed up drilling those shelf holes and make for more accurate placement and cleaner chip free holes. when you consider the set up time, with a blum 7 spindle line boring attachment I think my system would be quite competitive.

If one locates the face frame flush with the inside of the cabinets, you can use my system for the hinges and drawer slides as well. If you drill the holes before assembling the cabinet and attaching the face frame and you use a 3/4 inch spacer to hold the cabinet side away from the fence of my jig, you can easily drill the holes the correct distance back from the front edge of the side panel for hinges and drawer slides. Now assemble the cabinet and attach the 3/4 inch face frame and install the slides and hinges.

Comment

the other thing that came to mind was to hit the wood show circuit, and see what kind of interest is out there, The Woodworking Shows Homepage
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I build face frame customs cabinets, so I would not find it that useful. Have you seen the new kreg jig for this purpose?

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

I've not seen a new Kreg Jig. Is it for line drilling?

Comment

is this what your refering to? Shelf Pin Jig
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Yup, that's it.

Comment

Working...
                  X