X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4512 problem?

I have noticed that when I turn the handle to raise the blade that my blade shifts subtly to the right. When I began turning it back it settles back a barely perceptible amount to the left and then remain in place. The blade appears to remain aligned once I relieve the upward pressure on it. I know that I didn't buy a $2000 saw so I'm not expecting everything to be perfect but does this sound like a problem?

Re: 4512 problem?

yes, it does. how old is the saw? some time back, there were several 4512s (and grizzly 715s and c-man 21833s) that exhibited the same problem. the blade parallelism relative to the miter slot changed as the height of the blade changed. to the best of my knowledge, there was no repair for this. i imagine, if fairly new, it could be returned and hopefully a purchased replacement saw would not have the same issue as it has allegedly been addresses. if it's an older saw, and within the guaranty, or registered with the LSA, then i'd have ridgid address it as a safety issue.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I've had it for less than a month

Comment

were it me, i'd return it for another one. i've not yet heard of anyone sourcing a solution for blade parallelism changing with blade elevation on this, or any of it's grizzly (0715) or c-man (21833), cousins.

Comment

I'm returning it but I think I'm going to take the store credit and add a little more money and go for a little bit higher end saw

Comment

Originally posted by Lawdog View Post
            I'm returning it but I think I'm going to take the store credit and add a little more money and go for a little bit higher end saw
            like what?

Comment

Not sure. Maybe I just got unlucky and I should give the ridgid another shot. Has anyone here had a 4512 for a long enough time that they can say it definitely is a good value for a dependable machine? I'm a little gun shy after this firrst experience.

Comment

I've only had mine about 8 months with no problems. I researched it for maybe 6 months before i bought it, reviews, forums, etc. I heard about the problem your seeing on early models along with the packaging being a problem. The bolt (??) for the raising wheel would shift in shipping denting the fence rail. It was fixed by covering it with a rubber sleeve. I opened mine up in the store to see if the sleeve was there and the rail was not dented.
                When I was tuning mine up, raising the blade, it stayed square until I got to the last quarter turn, then it shifted a bit the right. Quarter turn back it came back square and stayed square the rest of the way down. Out of the box, blade was < .001", fence .003" from left miter slot. Riving knife took about an hour to get aligned. Would shift as the bolts were tightened.
                The only thing I don't like is the way the switch is mounted. It's a PITA to adjust. I like to have it in front of me so I can hit it with my leg. If possible, I'll probably replace the nuts with knobs.
                I would have liked a Grizzly or Steel City, but wasn't in the budget.
                Mike

Comment

Here's a video of the problem. You can see the gap change against my ZC insert as I raise and lower the blade

Comment

Just got back from HD with new replacement 4512 in box. I'll let you know how things go.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawdog View Post
                      Here's a video of the problem. You can see the gap change against my ZC insert as I raise and lower the blade
                      where's the video?

Comment

The video is right there. Here's the url -

Comment

New saw mostly put together. Lateral blade movement problem is gone but one of the extension wings has a slight curve and the rear rail has is bowed. Now the fence won't slide smoothly. Bottoms out on the wing. Spoke to ridgid and they're shipping me a new wing and a new rear rail. Have to say I'm very happy with their customer service and I'll probably buy more Ridgid tools as long as I can finally resolve my table saw issues.

Comment

Working...
                          X