X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Injured 3612

I used to consider myself a safe woodworker, until my last project. Unfortunately, I let time get the best of me and I made a hurried, dangerous and stupid cut with my table saw.

I was trying to cut a 16th of an inch off of two cabinet doors I made, in order to get a perfect fit. Rather than use a plane (time), I decided to run the doors through the table saw to "nick off" a 16th.

I set the rip fence, cut the first door and it worked perfectly. While I was cutting the second door, I ignored all I knew about table saw safety and decided to drag the door back past the blade rather than lift it off of the back of the table. I'll never do that again! The blade caught and twisted the door between it and the fence. I've experienced a few kickbacks, but I've never seen anything like this. Dumb luck is the only reason why I didn't get hurt. My saw took a beating though.

The blade (Rigid 40t) actually took chunks out of the front and back of the left side of the standard clearence insert. The blade is shot to say the least. I replaced the blade, tried to rip a scrap board and couldn't get through the cut because it was pinching so bad. I unplugged the saw and have stayed away from it for a couple of weeks.

Tomorrow, I'm going to try to figure out how bad the damage is. Hopefully I didn't bend the arbor. I'm almost positive I messed up the fence and/or rails and other adjustments are off too. Any advice on where to start?

I learned my lesson. Please be Safe.

Mike

Mike---glad you're OK----well, sounds like you don't need convincing about the error of your ways----be sure to use it as an object lesson for people who get in a hurry.

I think I'd take the opportunity to do a complete tune-up on the saw. I'd be sure and order a new insert and if the chunks aren't too bad, just make sure there are no burs on the surface to catch the wood.

I would say, if the blade was deflected enough to damage the insert, there could be arbor damage---but first things first----

See if you can get the fence aligned to the miter slot. Then take the blade off and see if the arbor flange is true and look at the arbor shaft for signs of damange--doubtful, but worth a check. Then, follow your manual's alignment checks and procedures----this months Wood Magazine has an article of table saw tune-up tips. While you're at it don't forget to check pulley alignment.

When you start it up and run some test cuts, just make sure to stand to the side---at least that's where I'd be.
    Dave

Comment

Working...
    X