No announcement yet.

TS3612 vs. the competition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just got a 3612 and it's a great saw. I actually bought the Ryobi 3100 (?) and took it back (still in the box) after considering the advantages of the 3612. The way I see it, the Herculift feature is worth about $100, I can easily roll it out onto the drive and make the mess outside, and the 36" width is worth something, even though it won't be used all that often. But the fence, it's a work of art. I love the way it works, way better than the 2424 fence I saw at HD.

The only problem I had putting it all together was the cast aluminum part of the blade guard was a bit warped, and needed to be straightened out. The (optional) dust collector needed a little bit of dremeling to get it to fit, but that wasn't difficult. One other thing I did was to belt-sand the corners of the cast iron wings wherever they could "get" me, since they're fairly sharp. The saw is rather huge, but I put the shopvac and support rollers under its wings and so the whole thing is about as compact as a smaller saw would be with these accessories.

If they're looking for a nice feature to add, I would request a power plug that's controlled by the on/off switch, so I could plug the shop vac into it, and control both with one switch. (I will make the necessary mods for this myself, eventually).

Anyway, I don't think you can go wrong with the 3612, and it's a top-quality saw that is well worth the extra money.
    Measure twice, cut once.

Comment

Originally posted by dave in dallas:
      If they're looking for a nice feature to add, I would request a power plug that's controlled by the on/off switch, so I could plug the shop vac into it, and control both with one switch. (I will make the necessary mods for this myself, eventually).
      Dave,

Glad to hear you are happy with your new saw. I also would like to see a switch that turns on a vac at the same time as the tool, but the problem is, with a 13 amp table saw, there is just 2 amps left on a standard circuit to run a vac (no reasonable size vac draws amps that low). Unfortunately a switch like that is just not practical.

Jake

Comment

I have my shop vac under the left wing of the saw...I turn it on reaching through the webbing of the top...very convenient...my saw runs on 220 now so the switch wouldn't work even if it existed.
        Kelly C. Hanna<br /><a href=\"http://www.hannawoodworks.com\" target=\"_blank\">Hanna Woodworks</a>

Comment

Working...
        X