X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust on Jointer

I purchased a jointer about 4 weeks ago. I noticed today that there are several spots of rust already developing on the in and outfeed tables. Is this sometheing I should worry about? How should i remove the existing rust? How can I prevent future rust from occuring? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris

That's definitely somthing that needs to be taken care of. If it has just started, you can probably clean it up with some fine steel wool which should not damage or scratch the surface.

After that, I would give the entire surface (including the fence) a good cleaning with some mineral spirits. Then apply a few coats of a good paste wax. DO NOT USE ANYTHING WITH SILICONE IN IT I.E. MANY CAR WAXES. The silicone will be picked up by wood and prevent stains and finishes from working properly. I use Butchers Brand (Bowling Alley) Wax which purchased it at my local hardware store.

Remember that any moisture, especially sweat (which is salty) will cause rust. Keep it (an all you cast iron tools) waxed well.
    Mark

Comment

I use a product called CorrosionX. It's basically a lubricant and corrosion preventer. It's kept my salt water fishing gear going through many seasons. If you want some and can't find a dealer after a Google search, send me an email.

Curt

Comment

WD-40 worked great with some metal scotch brite, just dry off all of the WD before waxing several passes with a clean rag! I use Minwax paste finishing wax, and it makes my ts2424 shiny and happy! My wife loves the dirty rags in the laundry basket...
        Have at it.

Comment

I use a product called TopCote® available through Lee Valley. Its a spray on rust preventative and it also leaves the table slicker than a wax finish.
          Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I also ues TopCote® I like it!
            Andy B.

Comment

I wax all the metal surfaces of my tools with Johnson's Paste Wax and it does an excellent job of protecting the metal and providing a slick surface. As with any wax, remember to renew it about 3 times a year and you should have no problem with rust.

....Michshooter

Comment

Because of the high carbon content of the jointer tables, it's highly prone to rust under the slightest of air moisture contents. I have found that even a humid day will cause rust on my jointer. After weeks of sanding, polishing, waxing and repeating, it's best to just spray the darn thing down with WD-40. When I need to use it I wipe it down with some automoive grade wax/greese and paint prep cleaner. After use, a good coat of WD-40 again. I spend less time taking care of the machine this way, than I was "trying" to keep the rust off, and removing the rust on a weekly basis. And I'm sure it's better for the machine as rust is actaully sacrificing the machines, machined surface.

Although I'm ordering some of that TopCoat from Lee Valley to try!

NOTE: Since I have a ventless heater in my shop at the time, humidity is always 70 to 80 percent, if not more.
                John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I have the same problem as Woody. My Jointer, TS, BS and even my DP develop rust frequently. For the last 5 months or so, I put a nice heavy layer of wax on them and leave it. The next time I need it, I just wipe off the wax. So far, so good. Before that, I tried the WD-40 like Woody mentioned. It also worked. I like the wax method better because it is easier to buff out the wax than degrease and wax. Also, the WD-40 was leaving a layer of gunk that was difficult to get off after a while. For the non table top parts of the equipment, I still spray with WD-40.

We are full of ideas.
                  Hope this helps.
                  Rob

Rob

Comment

Two things I will add to all the good advise posted. For rust that is deep or stains you can purchase polishing blocks. These are made of man made diamond dust and borium. They come in fine, medium and coarse. With very little effort they will remove stubborn stains and rust. I too use top-coat and like it. Between uses place a piece of cardboard over your cast iron areas. The cardboard aborbs the moisture and you will seldom get rust. Good especially in garage and basement workshops.

Comment

Woodndust,
                      Can you recommend a brand of polishing blocks and a vender?
                      My only advise about rust is to watch your tools closely for any signs of rust. I use the Johnson paste wax with good results and a WD-40 like oil on surfaces that do not contact wood. I also like the sheet of cardboard idea too.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                      X