X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood Working Software

Does anyone use wood working software to design projects? I am not too good yet at planning, and drawing up a project. Actually very frustrating sometimes. I draw it up, look at over and over, then buy the wood, then re-design it as I go. Help?

I do once and a while!
    Andy B.

Comment

ANdy, what software do you use?

Comment

up to the high school shop we use mac draft.
        Andy B.

Comment

You might try DeltaCad

DeltaCad

hth

[ 03-06-2003, 08:18 PM: Message edited by: RixWorx ]
          <a href=\"http://photos.yahoo.com/rixworx\" target=\"_blank\">http://photos.yahoo.com/rixworx</a>

Comment

At this point in my short time WWing, it is easier to draw it on paper and fix my mistakes as I build it. Ask me again in a few years.
            I did downloaded some software and am learning how to use it. I have used it mainly to design my shop. Nothing exact. Just general. Once I learn how to build furniture and other things, I will use it to design those projects.

TurboCAD LE. It was free but only 2D
            http://www.imsisoft.com/free/

I also have access to AutoCAD 2000 but have not installed it yet on my current PC. Last time I tried, it blew me away. Nice 3D however.

Here is a site with software links.
            http://www.internetwoodworking.com/w5/software.html

Here is a Design Forum
            http://www.sawmillcreek.org

I once worked for a company that made products for PC's. The engineers would have an Alpha PC Board built from a CAD drawing. They would add wires and modify the circuits as needed till it worked, passed regulatory, etc. It would then go back to CAD. The process would repeat itself until the product was released to Beta and then retail. The point is that the design was not complete till the product was actually released. That usually meant about 400 or 500 units were run before the final release of the drawing. You are on the right track. When you are done with your project, modify your drawing so that it will reflect what you made.

Rob

Comment

RixWorx,

Thanks for that link. I'm downloading the free 45 day trial right now. I have 3 different Cad programs, which none I can figure out. They all too complicated for simple drafting, so I still use my drafting board.

I hope it lets you save your files in a universal format. Be nice to be able to have plans downloadable from my site.

I am CAD illeterate (can't spell to good either), so if I figure this one out I'll be forever greatful. And the price won't set me back hundreds like the other 3 did.

Rob,

I have Turbo Cad, AutoCad 2000, and another one called Draft Choice Plus. I can't figure any of these out. Instructions for someone that doesn't know CAD at all, doesn't help much.

[ 03-06-2003, 10:26 PM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]
              John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I have drawn more projects than I've ever started. I use AutoCad 2000, and I hate to say that it isn't easy to learn. I'm extremely good at this "my only gloat", but I've earned a living using it for the past 8-1/2 years, but I did teach myself, so it's not impossible. Also I've never had to put up any money on the programs. If anyone has any questions about AutoCad please email me, I'd be glad to try and assist you. Hey Woody the compatability between the different programs is not very likely. If I were you I'd hang on to the AutoCad and ditch the rest. Buy the AutoCad book how to, or check out the community college in your area, if there is one, Classes are easy to find!

Comment

Woody,

I tried reading the instructions and did not get anywhere either. I have been using computers and software since the early 80's. They provided income for me for the last 15 years (until I got laid off last year). I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I should have a clue on how to figure stuff out. Beyond making lines, setting snap, grid etc. I was lost and frustrated. Anyway, the TurboCAD LE comes with a downloadable tutorial. I am reading through it and doing the exercises. Now I think Doh!!! That is what that does.
                  I am hoping to apply what I learn with TurboCAD to AutoCAD. It may not be the same menu option but the concept should still apply.

I am going to look into AutoCAD classes at the nearby University. I would have to agree that it would be the best way to learn.

Sorry for the long post.

Rob

AKA Mr. Mom

[ 03-07-2003, 11:48 PM: Message edited by: Rob C ]

Comment

Here's another program that you might want to consider. It's called Deltacad, and they advertise themself as the "World's easiest CAD Program."

I use it, and it works fine. It's pretty intuitive, and you can save files in a format that other cad programs can read. Their demo is fully functional, and will run for 45 days before it dies. Then, if you like it, the licensed copy is about $40.00. Here's the link:

Delta CAD

For someone who doesn't know CAD (like me) it's a great product.

Standard disclaimers, yada yada yada Yoda Yoda Yoda.
                    De Colores,
                    Dow
                    Boerne, TX

Comment

Richard,
                      I'm a beginner woodworker and have found Cutlist Pro to be very helpful. I used the trial version before purchasing the Standard Edition. It is not so much for design as it is for estimating project cost, inventory control and generating cutting diagrams. I sketch out on paper what I want to build along with the measurements and then use the software to estimate the cost and create the cutting diagrams. May not be what you are looking for???
                      Alan
                      My Shop

Comment

Thanx to all. I didn't know that all you wood workers would be so interested in this. After all, do we want to cut wood, or draw diagrams on the computer? Joke.

I downloaded DeltaCad, and also another one called Cabinet maker. Played with DC a little last night until I fell asleep at the keyboard.

Decided to cut some wood this evening. Will try the computer again.

Comment

I bought Deltacad on Ebay yesterday for $8.00 with 2.50 shipping. Now I just have to wait for it to get here.

Bill

Comment

I know that there is a free reader somewhere for Autocad. We use ACAD2000 here at work and frequently have to send work to clients for approval who don't have the program. Sorry, but I don't know where to find it.

Comment

AutoCAD free reader: http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...112&id=2787358

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X