X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fast Project

I've been putting off making a simple cabinet for my stereo components and today I finally bit the bullet. 3/4" birch plywood from home depot, they made two cuts at the store so it would fit in my 98saturn. Tomorrow I'll finish the raw edges with that iron on veneer and start to stain, sand and poly.
    Components are just in for a test fit.
    Attached Files

Re: Fast Project

Lookin' good there Frank,

That's some control panel you have there... tell us more about that and I'd love to see the final finish too.

Nice project, thanks for the post,

CWS

Comment

CWS, thanks for the encouraging words. I'm not a good woodworker, but I can make simple things. The unit on top was purchased from RadioShack years ago, and it allows me use a microphone, add reverb to music,and/or mic, and switch any input to be amped up. I have an old Onkyo unit below and CD player on bottom. Not sure on how to configure storage to house CD's, I'll have to work on that. Would like to keep the stain light, actually like the contrast between wood and components. Aside from not being very skilled, I have a bad habit of rushing things and that is bad when you want a good finished result. Patience is a virtue!

Comment

Looks Great Frank
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

nice project,

just a hint, when cross cutting plywood, such as birch or oak there are a few ways to help control the splintering, when cross cutting the plywood,,

one is to put masking tape on the area be cut, the tape helps support the veneers

another is to score with a sharp knife the veneerer right next to the cut, and then when running the saw blade the veneerer is all ready cut and does not chip,

I find the pre cutting the best, if your cut matches up,

some more tips
          http://www.newwoodworker.com/basic/minchipterout.html

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/arti...ut-in-plywood/
          Last edited by BHD; 04-03-2013, 10:33 PM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

actually one of the keys to good woodworking is taking your time
            staining should be done lightly and with multiple coats until it is the shade you want.
            all in all it is a nice project to do
            shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

I completely agree with taking your time when woodworking or doing just about any project. I have cross cut dozens of wood doors over the years and I always used masking tape to reduce or eliminate splintering. I don't know if I'm getting old or what but I completely forgot and ended up with those raw. splintered edged. I may do some kind of molding trim to cover up my mess. I don't want to make excuses, but it also helps to use your tools and skills on a more regular basis. I don't know which got more rusty, my table saw or my brain?

Comment

quick and simple sometimes make for the most satisfying projects. what method of joinery was used to assemble the main carcass and are the shelves adjustable? how will the chip out on the outside top edge of the side nearest the camera be addressed?
                there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Wood glue and nails for long pieces and shelves which are not adjustable. I figured what space I needed for the three components. I will post a picture tomorrow when a second coat of clear poly is applied. I covered over that splintered top outside area with a small piece of trim that looks good. I do have another problem of discoloration from wood dough used to cover nail heads! I could run some more trim to cover but it would make the cabinet look too busy. Will just live with it.

Comment

ive mixed a little stain into the wood dough from time to time but its a bit tricky to get the shade just right
                    you want it a little darker when wet so it will match when dry.
                    you can experiment with a little dough adding a little at a time and rolling small pellets , more stain roll a pellet , and repeat until you have several pellets and letting them dry
                    record how much stain you add each time
                    when they dry if they are very close to the wood natural color you have your recipe for that shade of wood

this will give you a very handy chart to refer to for other projects
                    my maternal grandfather was a furniture maker and had this down to an art
                    shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Franki,

I totally believe in keeping things as simple as possible. I mostly like nice, clean lines and am not so much into other styles, especially with curves, etc. Also, quick and simple works well, and I try to learn from them. While material is expensive enough, I consider the time put into a project as the real expense. To that end, you can learn a lot of simple-time projects and always look for ways to just make them better, your own way.

For that top area where you had some tear-out of the veneer, I'd suggest a relatively simple molding that would cover that side edge, and also the top where you would see the end grain for the ply. Something that would fit over both the side and the edge, sort of "L" shaped.... and then I'd match the side with a molding at the bottom to continue the "look".

I only mention using a molding at the top, because it would soften or make comfortable the edges around the operating console. Even if you use some kind of adhesive-applied veneer edging, it's going to be a wear point where you might catch your forearm, shirt, etc. I've never really been happy with using veneer edgiing as it always seems to catch fuzz or something.

Understand, it's not a critisism in any way, but just a suggestion from my own past observations on plywood and veneer edging.

Also, my experience as been to thin down the poly rather than use it straight from the can. When I finished the red oak wainscote in my kitchen, I took the existing planks, stripped and sanded and rearranged them to fit the new spaces. My first coat of clear poly (oil based, for that aged amber look that will come in time) was cut by about 40% mineral spirits, second coat about 20%, and last coat 10%. The point is to have the poly flow well and level out and for any bubbles to be able to escape. Generally, with straight poly out of the can, any bubbles will be trapped by the skimming over of the outter surface which dry first, especiall in these dry conditions. And, don't overwork the poly with the brush or shake the can, as that simply introduces more bubbles.

I hope his helps and I can't wait to see your finished project,

CWS

Looking good

Comment

I appreciate all the suggestions and I don't have a big ego so critism is not a problem. The top molding looks good and I went to home depot and picked up some "oak" tinted wood dough. I sanded the nail head areas and hit then with stain, a light coat of the wood dough and then some more stain. I like the idea of blending the stain into the wood dough. You guys who had the advantage of learning from skilled craftsman have a big edge over me. All those little tricks not only save time but make for a better result. I'll post a finished picture tomorrow. I don't expect anything that will impress the real talented guys , but I'm hopeful it won't look too bad. Thanks again guys. Frank

Comment

All done for now, might add doors down the road. Just have to run some speaker wires and hook up components. Thanks for all the help.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Nice Frank, a lightly tinted glass door would really complete that project.
                            Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Great idea, I think that would be a really nice addition when you decide to go that way.

Great job, looks really nice and I like the molding you added around the top.

Thanks for posting your project Frank,

CWS

Comment

Working...
                              X