X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long term equipment storage

I have one of the earlier versions of the TS-3650 that has none of the bearing or arbor problems that some of the latter models had. I also have a JP-06101 6-1/8 in. Jointer/Planer that was bought at the same time as the saw.

I stumbled into a deal on a Powermatic 72 table saw & a 8 in. Rockwell (37-315) long bed Jointer that I just couldn’t pass up! So sadly now the Ridgid equipment is getting in the way.

The Ridgid saw & jointer are both in excellent shape & they look & run as good now as when they first came out of the box! I had originally thought of trying to sell them on CL or E-Bay, But I know that I wouldn't get near what these machines are worth being there in such great shape!

Being that I don't want to deal with the E-Bay low bidders & the CL people that what something for nothing! I'm going to just disassemble the equipment & pack it up for a latter date, They would make a great gift for one of the Grand-kids in about ten years or so!

Anyways what I'm looking for is some tips or ideas on packing these machines up for long-term storage. A friend of mine has an old brick/cement storage building with a metal roof behind his shop that I can store the equipment in. But it's not 100% closed off to the elements, & the humidity/dampness can get pretty bad in there at times.

Thanks Doug

Re: Long term equipment storage

Your last sentence says a whole lot. IMO no matter what you do you're not going to end up with pristine tools after 10 years of storage in those conditions. The best you can do is coat every surface with a layer of cosmoline and pray for the best. One thing I would do is take a couple of pallets and build and attach some type of storage boxes on top of them. Make them with hinged tops so you have access during the storage period. When you pack away the tools, throw in a bunch of those whatchamacallit humidity eating packets into each box. Those packets don't last forever so it would be a good idea to replace them every year with new one.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I agree with Dave there, cosmoline would most likely be best, but it is not easy to find and is not cheap, but if one got a really gooey grease and coated it, inside and out,

maybe a water resistance grease, I was thinking a car wash could remove it, as cosmoline will take many Hours of work to remove, (maybe a pressure washer would cut) it been a good many years since I have cleaned up military gear in cosmoline.

I know msot equiptment to day comes in a sealed bag and some of that paper in it to keep it from rusting, if one got it on palet so one did not rip the bag, I would think one could find some type of bag to seal it up in and with the humidy asorgers and the paper, (that would be the modern way, (taking off the legs of the saw and the extensions would make a smaller package)
      jsut looking here, (just found on the web)
      Table Saws - Rust Protection Products - Zerust
      Fluid Film® | Corrosion Preventative, Lubricant and Rust Inhibitor
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If you crate them up, damprid containers may help with humidity/moisture, I put a couple in my 67 Nova when i put it away for the winter. they're about $5 at Lowes.
        Mike

Comment

When I was working, (30 years at the Painted Post plant) we shipped a lot of equipment overseas by ship. Huge compressors and parts, most all of it cast gray-iron, for the petro-chem business, as well as heavy industry. Most of this kind of product left the plant on flat-bed trucks, occasionally flat-bed rail cars, and parts were boxed, often in large lumber and plywood crates. As you might imagine, some of this stuff would be exposed to the elements for weeks and months, as it might sit on the flat cars, or even on a ships deck during transport, and more than likely sit in a field at the construction site, refinery, or oil platform for some time before installation.

We used a couple of products for rust and corrosion protection, one being a special rust preventative paper and the other being a product called SW-42 Metal Shield from a company by the name of BMC (Building Maintenance Corporation) located in Lake Charles, LA. The SW-42 is a brown thick coating that comes in a 15 oz spray can and also used to be available by the gallon, and can be brushed on. The spray sort of foams a bit when you apply it, and supposedly chases out any moisture from the iron. (I think the paper may have come from the same source, though that I'm not sure of.)

While I can't find any information on the product, I see the company is still listed (Janitorial Supply Lake Charles, LA) with a phone number and address in St. Charles, Louisiana.

I have a 1973 Craftsman RAS which I purchased new back then. When we bought moved to another home, this got put away in a very damp basement in the late 70's and I grabbed a can of this stuff (SW-42) from our shipping dept and spray the cast iron column and a few of the bare-metal parts on this saw. After that, it sat in that basement until 2004 when I carried the saw upstairs and cleaned it up. Mineral spirits or safety solvent cleaned the brown, almost hardended gum-like coating off without much of a problem and I was delighted to see that column come back to it's previous machined lustre. There was some very slight surface discloration where I didn't spray quite as well as I should have, but that cleaned up very nicely with a little emery cloth.

I still have the can, having used only a small portion at the time. As I recall, the plant was still using this back in 2003. According to the lable, the product will not run, or easily wipe off on contact. It won't crack or peel even under severe flexing, and dirt and dust can be wiped from the coated surface without disturbing the coating. The spray coating takes approx two hours to set completely and is easily cleaned off to metal parts with mineral spirits.

No idea what it costs, but the company wasn't one to lavish money, if you know what I mean. If this was a weekday, I'd have given them a call to see what the availability still might be. But, the contact information is with the above link.

I hope this is helpful,

CWS
          Last edited by CWSmith; 04-06-2013, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BadgerDave View Post
            One thing I would do is take a couple of pallets and build and attach some type of storage boxes on top of them. Make them with hinged tops so you have access during the storage period.
            Yeah I'm planning to disassemble everything & will be building sealed boxes to place the equipment into.

I also thought about the cosmoline, But that stuff can be a PITA to remove sometimes. I was thinking more like wraping the cast iron parts in some type of oil treated paper or light cloth & then covering that with something like shrink wrap to prevent the oil from drying up?

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
              I would think one could find some type of bag to seal it up in and with the humidy asorgers and the paper, (that would be the modern way, (taking off the legs of the saw and the extensions would make a smaller package)
              Yeah the legs & top will be disassembled & packed into wooden boxes or crates.

Thanks for the link for the Fluid Film! That just may be what I'm looking for. Seeing that it doesn't dry up after being applied, Once sealed up with something like shrink wrap the protectant shouldn't evaporate.

Thanks Doug
              Last edited by Dwall174; 04-06-2013, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
                We used a couple of products for rust and corrosion protection, one being a special rust preventative paper and the other being a product called SW-42 Metal Shield from a company by the name of BMC (Building Maintenance Corporation) located in Lake Charles, LA. The SW-42 is a brown thick coating that comes in a 15 oz spray can and also used to be available by the gallon, and can be brushed on. The spray sort of foams a bit when you apply it, and supposedly chases out any moisture from the iron. (I think the paper may have come from the same source, though that I'm not sure of.)
                Thanks for the info. I'll try to get in-touch with them on Monday & see if the SW-42 is still available!

Doug

Comment

Box up your tools with whatever coatings and silica gel packs that you want. Take the boxes to your local marina and have them shrink wrapped like they do the boats for over-season storage. The wrap is weather-tight.
                  ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Dwall174 View Post
                    Yeah the legs & top will be disassembled & packed into wooden boxes or crates.

Thanks for the link for the Fluid Film! That just may be what I'm looking for. Seeing that it doesn't dry up after being applied, Once sealed up with something like shrink wrap the protectant shouldn't evaporate.

Thanks Doug
                    Hi Doug,
                    I second the Fluid Film and then tightly wrap the parts in plastic wrap. I've used Fluid Film for years on my classic cars, trucks, tractors, firearms and tools and have never once been disappointed with the product. It does not evaporate.

Comment

LPS-3 Rust Inhibitor comes in can or spray contaners.
                      A couple coats leaves a hard film that will protect machined surfaces.
                      At jobs I have worked we have used LPS-3 to protect machined surfaces on
                      equipment that is stored outside under nothing more than a tarp for up to 6 months.
                      The stuff looked like the day we left it when the tarp came off.

I like Daves' idea of building the ELEVATED storage boxes. Elevated meaning building on top of sturdy pallets
                      so that when the room gets flooded by an unexpected rain your tools won't be sitting in 3 inches of water.

Plus the pallets will make them easier to move around with a machine such as a Bobcat or front end loader
                      with forks or a pallet jack.

If there was a way to keep the box slightly warmer that would help to drive moisture away too. BUT...it would have to
                      be some safe way to heat the box, not a light bulb or some other makeshift form of heater, because you won't be
                      monitoring it and a failure could cause a fire which would negate the whole purpose wouldn't it. but there are low
                      wattage pad heaters which might work for the winter months. You'd have to do some research to find something that
                      would work. I think the moisture absorbant packs would be overcome in only a day or so unless you boxes are fairly air tight.

http://www.lpslabs.com/site_files/te.../TDS_00316.pdf
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        I like Daves' idea of building the ELEVATED storage boxes. Elevated meaning building on top of sturdy pallets
                        so that when the room gets flooded by an unexpected rain your tools won't be sitting in 3 inches of water.
                        Yea I'll build the crates first & then place them on the pallets! In fact I believe there may even be some room on top of an old heavy duty shelf in the back of the building.

Originally posted by Bob D. View Post
                        we have used LPS-3 to protect machined surfaces on equipment that is stored outside under nothing more than a tarp for up to 6 months.
                        Thanks I'll check that out! I've used their lubricating products at a shop I use to work at, Nice products but hard to find out side of a commerical shop & expensive.

Thanks Doug

Comment

Working...
                        X