X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My winter honey do project

She thought the kitchen was in need of some change, a few years ago we bought a new kitchen range unit and she did not like where the old unit was so we moved it and "tried it out" in a different location, and that try kinda extend it self into 3 years, (she claims 7 years) seemed like a lot less to me,

Any way we started on the project near the end of January, working on it in the spare time,

took the walls down to the wood ship lap, (when the house was built, knowing they were going to move the building in 5 years, they boarded the inside up and wall papered the wood, (my guess is for weight and cracking of the plaster), after the homestead was proved up, they rolled the house to where it is now on well pipe, and sawed timbers, and a few teams of horses,
    when they built it they used 2x14" rough lumber for the timbers under the house to roll it on,

and the space is very tight under the house, so I took up some of the floor to replace the old galvanized pipe that the sewer had originally been put in with, (late 1940's).

I built the cabinets from rough lumber I saw up my self a good number of years ago and some rough pine I bought a trailer load of when I was in Montana one year,

we still have the floor to do and one more free standing cabinet to build (it will be more in look like a Hoosier type baking center).

some of the pictures, of the start of the destruction, and the new breaker box, and some of the V grove pine paneling we made,
    Attached Files
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Re: My winter honey do project

some more progress (pictures may not be in order)

dove tailed drwers, the paneled doors, the kreg jig, planing some of the lumber. the wall paneling up.
    Attached Files
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Looking good BHD. Nice door panels you built. Nice figure to the grain and I like the final color with the finish applied.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

were gaining, (pictures may not be in order).

some more deconstruction. raised the floor in one place 11/4" and lowered it 1 1/8" in another all with in 6 feet. first cabinet in, other cabinets in various states of construction.
        Attached Files
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Nice job,BHD. Glad to hear someone knows what shiplap is. I mention it amongst these kids nowdays and they look at me like "HUH".

Comment

all most there,

we put up slate on the back splash and used for the counter top. more of he finishing trochees,

we will probably do the floor in the fall, now, but it is usable and she likes it,
            Attached Files
            Last edited by BHD; 05-02-2013, 04:13 PM.
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Very nice work. See lots of yellow and very little orange.

Love the smell of all that sawdust.

Any help, or all yourself?

Very nice.

Rick.
              phoebe it is

Comment

We did it our selfs, wife did the finishing and painting, she likes to paint, and she likes yellow.

I normally spray the cabinets, but the temps were so low a lot of the time I did not have any place to set up and spray where I could keep it warm and let it dry and work as well, so she brushed the finish in the house and in the barn in the meat room, so the brushing was easer for the conditions.

"Love the smell of all that sawdust"
                the wood is Siberian Elm, and and some pieces of it have an odd oder, (cat urine smell) it only smelled when planing the wood.

the pine smelled good. Tho
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Nice work BHD! And I know how you feel about how long its taking. I started my kitchen remodel in 2009 and still haven't finished yet Granted, it started as replacing a wall oven and turned into a gut job. Fortunately, it was functional over the entire time. And the only things left are some crown and base molding, and I need to build and install 2 doors. I was fortunate to do it in phases. One side for the oven project, the next side for the sink. I went the same route building the cabinets from rough stock etc. I'm further along than the photos. I just haven't taken more recent pictures.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Snailman looking good. how's the wood counter top holding up around the skink? what did you use for a counter top finish?
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Its holding up great! I haven't had the heart to cut directly on it though. I already had plastic cutting boards which I prefer so they can go in the dishwasher. The finish is nothing more than mineral oil. I think I put on 4 heavy coats when I installed it. I had a couple scares when my wife put a sangria pitcher on it which left a slight stain, and something else had left a mark, but a pretty thorough scrub with a green dish pad and water 'wet' sanded them out. At some point, I want to refresh the mineral oil, and we are pretty diligent to wipe up standing water when washing pots and pans, but so far so good. BTW, in case anyone is confused, the 1st photo I posted shows the mock up I did for my wife so she'd get an idea where the cabinets would go.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                        She thought the kitchen was in need of some change, a few years ago we bought a new kitchen range unit and she did not like where the old unit was so we moved it and "tried it out" in a different location, and that try kinda extend it self into 3 years, (she claims 7 years) seemed like a lot less to me,

Any way we started on the project near the end of January, working on it in the spare time,

took the walls down to the wood ship lap, (when the house was built, knowing they were going to move the building in 5 years, they boarded the inside up and wall papered the wood, (my guess is for weight and cracking of the plaster), after the homestead was proved up, they rolled the house to where it is now on well pipe, and sawed timbers, and a few teams of horses,
                        when they built it they used 2x14" rough lumber for the timbers under the house to roll it on,

and the space is very tight under the house, so I took up some of the floor to replace the old galvanized pipe that the sewer had originally been put in with, (late 1940's).

I built the cabinets from rough lumber I saw up my self a good number of years ago and some rough pine I bought a trailer load of when I was in Montana one year,

we still have the floor to do and one more free standing cabinet to build (it will be more in look like a Hoosier type baking center).

some of the pictures, of the start of the destruction, and the new breaker box, and some of the V grove pine paneling we made,
                        Yeah I know what you mean about a little project turning into a big one. It always seems to happen that way

Comment

Working...
                        X