X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TP1300 Planer--chips jamming in the outfeed

I've been using a new TP1300 for about 2 months planing only Pine. Suddenly last week , the wood chips started jamming in the outfeeder. Once this happens the chips fall back in and the roller presses them into the top of the wood.

I've cleaned off the roller, the outfeed area and replaced the blades but get the same problem instantly.

I can only take about 1/64 of a cut off at a time and still have problems.

Any suggestions?

Remove the cover over the knives and clean the area where the chips exit the machine out good, then spray silcone spray over that area and the underside of the cover. Wipe off the excess. This should keep the chips from sticking in the chute and help clear them out better.

Jake

Comment

Last night I found a large build up of resin between the cutter head and the metal in the path the chips have to take up from the cutter.

Cleaned this out last night and hope to test tonight to confirm that was the problem.

--Spoke to Mike @ Ridgid's 1 800# and he confirmed this was likely the issue.

Comment

My only big problem is trying to get the wood to feed itself through the planer.Pine works OK but when you try oak or other hardwoods I have to push and pull it through.I've cleanned rollers,replaced blades but it's been this way for some time now. Do other planers do this?Mine is the 1300 model.I tried a 6ft. piece of oak the other night and I thought I was going to have to clamp it to the table to keep from pushing it off. I had to push the board that hard to get it planed.I was taking off less than a 16th of an inch. I know this problem has been brought up before. What causes this problem???????

Comment

Have you waxed the bed? My stationary planer doesn't like to feed right if the bed isn't waxed.

Dave

Comment

As Dave said you should wax the main table; clean it off real good then wax it with a paste wax or automotive wax (as long as it doesn't contain silicone). Also try cleaning the rollers with a solvent that’s stronger than alcohol, as is stated in the instructions. We had a planer a customer sent it that would not feed the stock. We cleaned the rollers and waxed the tables and that machine would pull about 45lbs before we could stop it from feeding.

Jake

Comment

Last weekend I used my TP13000 Thickness Planer for the second time. The first time it ran for about 20 minutes without problem. Last weekend I was planing 5/4 x 12" poplar to 1" thickness. After operating for about 1/2 hour I shut the machine off while I took a break. When I tried to restart the machine the motor would not come on. I checked all circuits and the reset button and everything was fine. I then removed one of the brushes and found it to be about 3/8" long with a large crescent crater. Having not viewed these brushes prior to operating I am not sure what they originally looked like. I put the brush back in and the machine operated. After a few minutes the motor began to slow down and then speed back up and before I could shut it down, it stopped. I checked both brushes and they both had crescent craters (they appear to be broken as opposed to just warn down in a crescent, and the crescent is 90 degrees to the rotation of the armature) and the machine will no longer operate. I called Ridgid and two sets of brushes are being sent. Free of charge I may add. Anyway, I need this machine to operate this weekend. I suspect the brushes will get here today or tomorrow but I am not really sure that the brushes are the problem. Does anyone else have any other ideas just in case the brushes are not the problem....and if they are, why did it happen with less than 1 hour operating time on the machine? Other than it won't operate, I like the machine but I have always been an optimist. Thanks.

Gene

Comment

My guess is that you have a rough commutator. With less than an hour operation, why not just carry it back to Home Depot and ask for a replacement?

Dave

Comment

Well Dave, I thought about that but I purchased the planer several months ago and I cannot find the receipt. The Home Depot here in Murrieta no longer accepts returns without a receipt. Thanks.

Gene

Comment

Maybe Ridgid Service, then? The machine has a lifetime warranty against manufacturing defects. Bad commutator certainly qualifies in my book. I would bet that putting another set of brushes in it will accomplish not much more than another hour of run time.

Dave

Comment

Dave,
                      I believe you are correct but since Ridgid was so agreeable in sending out more brushes, I wanted to try that first. There is a recognized Ridgid service shop fairly close so if the new brushes do the same, I will just take it there. Thank you for your reply. I am somewhat surprised that no one from Ridgid has commented. I even sent an email to the tech services last Saturday and have not heard anything back. This is not like them.

Gene

Comment

I'm here, I'm here, sorry guys I've been out of the office for a bit.

I'm kinda perplexed at the problem you described. Let me know what happens when you try the new brushes.

Something I would try, wrap a small peice of emery cloth over the tip of a dowel or small stick and place that tip against the comm (through the brush access of course). Turn the motor over several times (it may help to remove the belt). This should help clean the comm.

Jake

Comment

Jake,
                          Thank you for your suggestion. I was going to inspect the comm through the brush ports for irregularities when I received the brushes, hopefully today. Using your suggestion, I will just touch the comm and then turn the motor to see if I can detect any "out of round" or projections and then proceed from there. I will let you know what I find out. Thank you again for your suggestion.

Gene [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow, do I hate to get into this one, but I'd be very cautious about brightening the commutator with emery paper.

If you could view the commutator from the perspective of the end of the shaft, you would see that there are some fairly precise square cuts between the lobes. There is also an insulator between each of the lobe, and the insulator has been cut so that it is below flush. Too much enthusiasm with the emergy paper runs the risk of either rounding the shoulders of the lobes or exposing the insulator. When an electric shop brightens a commutator, they usually then proceed to re-cut the inter-lobe spaces.

I have a suspicious that you have some sort of wiring failure, or perhaps inter-lobe insulation failure, which is giving you "spikes" of excess current sufficient to smoke something, but not long enough to trip over-current protection. I'd be inclined to disassemble and inspect the motor pretty carefully.

OK, now let's see how much trouble I get into.

Comment

You are right and I should have thought of that myself. Thank you for waking me up. I have done this sort of thing with the commutator out of the motor housing but then cleaned out the slots between the lobes. I was also working on starter motors and generators from my cars back in the 50's which are a world of difference from modern electric motors. After I get the new brushes I'll post whatever I learn. Thank you again.

Gene

Comment

Working...
                              X