No announcement yet.

Here's a good one, what do you all do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a good one, what do you all do?

I do alot....ALOT of router work. I'd say about 1/3 of it's NOT edge work. ie dado's for drawer bottoms, splines, etc. The thing is, dust collection on a router is from the fence. Couldn't be better on my JessEm system...For EDGE work! But what do you do when the fence is too far away from the bit to do any good?
    I had an idea, got it from a plan I seen somewheres from one of those "Ultimate Router Table" designs. A piece of aluminum flashing was used under the table to divert dust and air flow. Good to take up the "extra" the fence can't handle. I was thinking....why couldn't you use the same theory and add sponge tubing to the sides so when you adjust height, it still fits to the bottom of the lift/table. But instead of making just a "deflector plate" out of aluminum flashing, enclose the end and insert a whole to accept a normal VAC hose? Feesable? Suggestions?
    What I ran into is on the first pass the dust blows out the end of the cut your making...until it builds up and blocks the cut. Then it packs into the cut. Broke bit! Another reason I "Shall Not Buy Cheep Bits". I tried rigging up the vac hose at the end, but on long pieces that pass past the end of the table it gets in the way, or the trust of the dust isn't enough to get it out the end of the cut.
    I'd like to know if anyone else has run across the same sanario, and what you did to cure it?
    And if you think my idea is worth spending time on to make such a monster?
    Take in consideration, I have 2 tables. Both use the JessEm Rout-R-Lift system. And I have 2 sets of inserts with verious sized wholes. Splines and dados are usually not over 3/4" wide.
    I spend more on router bits than I do saw blades at this point!

Ok, finally found what I was looking for...
    Fine Woodworking Tools & Shops Winter 2001/2002 No. 153. Bottom of page 59. Shows the deflector plate I mentioned above.
    btw, the dislikes of this design was I don't want my bits in the open. The on/off switch is too concealed and you can get tied up in the cords scrambling for the switch. I think MDF sucks. Not enough exhaust ports, and if added, noise would increase. And the heat from the Vac is transfered through the router motor. Elongated sessions of routing would just increase router motor heat.
    Just my opinion.

[ 01-13-2003, 11:20 PM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]
    John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

My complaints with John's design can be stated much more succinctly: Too much.

Too much featuritis, too many functions. Too much, just too much. It's a Rube Goldberg design. (so much for being asked on a FWW shop tour, huh?)

Router table dust collection. I use one of these: http://www.woodpeck.com/downdraft.html . Please note that only abject laziness is an excuse for buying one, instead of just making one.

Should you use one of John White's deflector's, be certain to not block airflow out of your router. I don't use a deflector. The router's cooling fan blows toward the bit, mine doesn't allow chips in.

The downdraft cabinet has the additional benefit of acting as a vacuum hold-down, which is extremely cool.

Dave

Comment

Aye Dave, gotta agree with you, too much.

I know I don't have room for a down draft under either one of my tables, but it does inspire my thoughts in a different direction.
      Perhaps a shallower unit drawn from the side somehow?
      But then again...w/the Freud FT2000's, you have to be able to reach the locking lever under the table for the sliding shaft lock to change bits.
      John E. Adams<br /><a href=\"http://www.woodys-workshop.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.woodys-workshop.com</a>

Comment

I think this guy came up with the right idea! You'll have to work down to the "plumbing" section!

http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchi...ohnsrtab1.html
        Support Our Troops!
        www.mnpatriotguard.org
        www.patriotguard.org

Comment

I built one of these,

http://www.jointech.com/routerstation.htm

and I mounted one of these,

http://www.incra.com/TL.html

John
          Eastchester, NY
          "The memory of bad quality lasts longer than the shock of high prices." ~ Anon.

Comment

That looks very similar to the one I saw Norm build this weekend. It too had a connection for the cabinet and one for the fence. Both connections were made using PVC, then connected by adapter to 4" collector hose.

You may also avoid the chip collection problem by putting in an oblong hole in line with the router bit on the outfeed side. If chips do collect, they'll fall through the hole (or be sucked through)and be collected by the system.

Comment

Best solution is the Norm style plenum under the top. This is the reason for a "dedicated" router table and not a benchtop or a tablesaw wing add-on. I run a 4" outlet from the bottom of my "V" shaped plenum and a 2½" hose from the fence. This gets some 95%+ of everything the M12V generates off the edges or grooves. I don't use any type of router lift except my arm muscles and hands. I drop the front door of the plenum, push the router/insert up and do bit changes and adjustments on top of the table, drop it back in and close the front door.

gator

Comment

I am almost done with the new NYW design. I'll report back once I have put it to the test. In my small shop, storage is key and the drawers and bit storage is wonderful. The one posted by Keystone looks like a knock-off.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, but...
                  Nope, not building a router table, don't like norms. Got the set up I like and won't change.
                  Just need a solution to fit the workstations I have. It'll be fun designing something that will do the job and fit in the area availabe below the router and work with the dust colletion I have until I add onto the shop. I'll get pics up on my site when it happens though. Never know, may end up with a patend and can retire? (nice thought though).

[ 01-26-2003, 02:10 AM: Message edited by: UO_Woody ]

Comment

Finished NYW router table and have started to use it for the doors on my second grandfather clock. Works great, large work surface, simple fence design, plenty of storage and dust collection works great when hooked up to the 4" hose directly.

So far, I think it's a winner. Some day I may even add that Jessem lift.

Comment

So, which is it---John Adams or Ben Franklin

Hey, like it or not---Norm's original design, which I use, never had such a problem with saw dust. While I haven't tried his newer design, the old one----heart of simplicity, works great at or away from the fence. But, then, you don't have to like it or believe us
                      Dave

Comment

Tis what I have, and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Stock:

Drawers added:

Comment

John---you buy an open base router table and complain about sawdust???? Glad you like it, but life is full of trade-offs----
                          Dave

Comment

Unless these are closed end dado's and or splines wouldn't it be easier to just use your table saw with dado blades and get the power of your vacuum through the throat plate?

Comment

Yikes!

Seams I opened a can of saber tooth worms.

Was just hoping for some solutions to my opening post to fit my current situations.

I may have found my own answer, but will have to check into it. I found a dust collection attachment for both Freud routers which is mounted in both tables. I'm hoping it will work in the table mounted status.

My reasons for choosing what I did was from testing a wide veriety of table set ups, and purchasing and returning several units, as well as having the opputunity of trying out several others at no cost. And that fit my needs within the limitations of my shop size.

And ya'll don't want to hear my opinon of your hero Norm!

Comment

Working...
                              X