Brand New TS3650 won't run

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand New TS3650 won't run

Just got the TS3650 and love the weight, finish, size, fence stability, etc. Took about 6 hours to completely assemble, but when I flipped the switch for its virgin cut, all I got was a low hum and the blade only moved slightly.
    Just bought the house a few months ago and I remember during one of the walk thru's the previous owner had a welding machine in this garage. I've got 180 amps in the garage (working on it becoming my shop - yay) on it's own sub panel, with (3) 20 amp circuits installed now. One being for the wall receptacles. When I turn everything off in the shop, I get the same result. Is it possible the motor was wired for 220? Mine has a std. 110v grounded plug. The length of wire from the sub panel to the outlet I'm trying to use is about 20 feet.
    Any suggestions? I'd hate to have to take it back.

You've probably already done it, but just to be sure, did you verify the outlet is ok by plugging in something else? Got the belt installed? Induction motor's are pretty quiet....if the belt wasn't on, it might be hard to detect the motor running. Be sure nothing is binding....does the arbor and motor pulley spin freely by hand?

The saw should come wired for 110v. There should be a wiring diagram in the wiring box on the motor...you can double check the wiring. Otherwise you may have a motor problem...

[ 12-27-2004, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: hewood ]

Comment

Hewood - Thanks for the reply.
      Had another look at it tonight. Rechecked all the assembly steps, especially when installing the motor. Readjusted everything and now it works!!!
      When I took tension off of the belt, the motor ran normally, so I guess I had too much tension on it.
      I'm thinking about the next Ridgid now - the BS1400 Band Saw or the JP0610 Jointer/Planer. What do you think for a relative beginner in woodworking?

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Lou:
        I'm thinking about the next Ridgid now - the BS1400 Band Saw or the JP0610 Jointer/Planer. What do you think for a relative beginner in woodworking?
        Depends on what you want to do, but typically the TS, planer, and jointer make the main work triangle and allow you begin every project with flat, square and straight stock. I like my BS but worked around one with a jigsaw for quite a while. My jointer and planer see far more use...I don't know what I would have done without the ability flatten twisted and curved wood.

Comment

Mad---first, the only "tension" on the belt should be from the weight of the motor, hanging back on the bracket. It should "floot" with the belt holding it in place. This allows you to raise and lower the blade and always have tension on the belt.

Second---totally agree with Hewood on next tool selection. I've been ww'ing for a loooooonnng time and only got a bandsaw two years ago. Also, as you read or find out what a bandsaw can do, you'll find that basic models like the Ridgid aren't really meant for extensive re-saw work. Ridgid's jointer is pretty good, as is their planer, though their planer is not nearly as versitle as newer models with multiple speeds, extra knife in the cutter, etc. Do some comparrison shopping.
          Dave

Comment

Someone here hinted that Ridgid was coming out with a new and improved bandsaw very soon. it sounds like the current model will be discontinued so we may see some proces dropping on the current BS.
            I need a bandsaw bad but I am waiting until I see what the new model is all about before I run out and buy one.

Comment

Lou,

I had the same problem with mine. Actually, it wasn't the saw's fault at all. If you haven't already fixed it, make sure the drive belt is on the pulleys correctly [img]redface.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
              X