X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre Saw Motor Smokes

I was sawing 2x8 pressure-treated pine, and after an extended period of cutting, the motor began to smoke.

Now, If I run the saw for more than 15 seconds, it starts to smoke. What happened, how can I fix it, and how do I avoid this the next time?

R.

All electric motors are operated by internal smoke. If the smoke escapes, the motor is no longer functional. It sounds as if most of the smoke has escaped from your miter saw motor and it is about done in.

Comment

Have you tried the patch?

Comment

I tried the patch, but it makes my butt itchy.

Some serious replies, please. What's wrong with the motor?

Comment

Lets start with what kind/brand of saw are we talking about.
          info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

It's a Rigid 12" ms12500. The brushes look fine, slightly longer than an inch each, no chips missing from the business end.

Comment

miter saw, that is.

Comment

Rajah,

How long have you had the saw? If you have had it less than 90 days, return it to Home Depot and get another one.
                I can't tell you what is wrong with your saw, but if it is smoking, there is definitely a problem. Hope someone smarter than I has the solution!

Swede

Comment

Four years now. Not heavily used, and stored in its box, in a heated workshop.

Comment

I had a capacitor blow on my belt sander that caused wicked smoke after about 15 sec, the motor would not run at the correct speed (slow). Replaced the cap and all good now. However I think these are universal motors with no caps. You likely overheated the motor winding and melted the insulation in a small spot. Have a look in the yellow pages for electric motor repair, they are usually cheaper and faster than the manufacturer service center because they can rewind the motor

Comment

One way or the other, it looks like a motor repair shop needs to dig into it. I'm fairly certain it was overloaded and I suppose that the motor overheated.

It seems that any "authorized service center" will not rewind the motor. Apparently it cant be serviced.

[ 01-06-2005, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Rajah ]

Comment

Well, if it's 4 years old you have the lifetime warranty, might be worth a try to call 18004ridgid, you never know, they may fix it. My local repair man just fixes whats broken, sends me out the door and lets ridgid worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                        X