X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making raised panel doors

what kind of wood is used in raised panel doors.... i try in with a good grade plywood(para ply from HD) but i do not like to see the diff.plys...

would it be better to just use stock wood and do a bisket joint to make wider panels,or is there some other wood that i can get to make the doors..... i will be making them about 16 inches wide....

thanks brian

If you are actually doing a "raised" panel you will need to use solid wood. If you are just going to do a flat panel then a good grade plywood will suffice. The rail and stiles of the doors are almost always solid wood.

If you have a planer then bisket jointing is not really necessary. Simply glue up your stock, plane it down to the thickness needed, size the piece up and use a cove cutter to make the raised panel cuts.

Jake

[ 07-11-2001: Message edited by: JSchnarre ]

Comment

Even if you don't have a planer, biscuits aren't necessary. If you have problems with the stock slipping out of plane (and your milling is proper, and you aren't overclamping, etc.), cauls are your answer.

Cauls have been around about as long as wood, but for some reason a lot of people haven't heard of them. They simply are long, straight pieces of stock clamped across the face of the boards. Because they are hard to describe without pictures, look at this page: http://shop.woodcraft.com/woodcraft/...VW5ADTRPDC37FA . This is a clamp system with cauls built-in.

The biggest mistake one can make when using cauls is to glue them to the face of the panel (a disaster). To prevent this, clear plastic packaging tape is applied to the face of the cauls (that rests against the panel).

Since you have no preference for the type of wood, I wonder if you plan to paint these doors? If so, MDF (medium density fiberboard) is a perfectly acceptable material for the panels. It is available in 4x8 sheets and is dirt cheap. It is not suitable for the frames, as it has little strength to resist bending. As a cardboard-related product, care must be taken to keep it from getting wet.

Dave

Comment

i was at HD tonight and was looking at the manufactured(sp?) doors they sell and i trying to figure out how they get that smooth finish...

i did make the stiles and rails from some scrap mdf adn it came out strong...i used a ogie bit to do the joints.. it works nice and looks nice... only took me 6 hours to make my first door [img]smile.gif[/img]

well i want to get a natural looking wood doors and to make them look as good as what they sell at HD...

well talk to u later

thankd
        brian

Comment

Working...
        X