X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crown molding angles

I have been installing corwn molding for a few years, however my new house has a dining room with five walls. Question: How do I figure the angles to cut the crown? I know that for a regular four sided wall it is 33.6 and 31.6, that is for a 90 degree corner. I have two cuts to make, instead of the 90 degree corner, it is a 45 degree corner. Any help would be appreciated.

Black,

Instead of a 45º corner I'd be willing to bet you have a 135º corner. The angles to set the saw at are:

Miter: 14.3
    Bevel: 17.5

Other wise cut the crown in the same manner as you would for a normal 90º corner

Jake

Comment

Just curious. What type of saw allows such precise settings. As I see it, I would be happy to get the miter set to approx 14 or the bevel set to approx 17. I have a really good sliding compound miter saw and the TS2424 but I don't see how such precision is possible. Please let me know how I could be more precise with me miters and bevels. Thanks in advance.

Comment

J-
        Thanks for the information, after I posted my question last night, I realized that it is a 135 degree angle (or close to it- nothing is exact in this house).

Comment

Mike,

Your right, it does take some work to get that level of precision out of a miter saw. Those numbers are just the what came out of the calculations for crown molding. Also no room is ever square and no corner is ever exactly the angle its supposed to be, so you will always have to tweak the angles to get a good fit.

Jake

Comment

Jake,
            Could you share the formula to determine these angles, and how in the world did you know he had a 135 degree angle?
            Delta Unisaw; Delta DJ-20 Jointer; Jet Drill press; Ridgid TP-1300 thickness planer; DeWalt 12\" Miter saw; Craftsman 10\" radial arm saw; Craftsman band saw; Seco 3HP Shaper; Router Table; Penn State Tempest Cyclone; Delta Air Cleaner

Comment

The formula for cutting crown molding flat is extemely complicated, with lots of TAN and CoTAN functions. The reason I knew the angle was due to the fact almost no house ever has a 45º corner (esp not and inside corner). There is was too much wasted space.

Jake

Comment

I seem to remember in this forum, maybe a yar or so ago, a link to a page that not only gave the formulae, but also had a caculator that would apply them for any angle.

Note that if, instead of cutting the molding flat on the table and having to know both angles, you make a fence so that the molding can be cut in the plane in which it will be fixed to the wall, you avoid having to worry about the complex angles; and since in most cases you have to sneak up on the "correct" cut for an irregular wall, anyhow, doing this way is the only practical way.

Comment

Here is a web page with a
                  Crown Moulding Calculator

Jeff

[ 05-02-2002: Message edited by: Jeff O'Dell ]

Comment

Working...
                  X