Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Router Material Feed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Re: Router Material Feed

    Originally posted by johncameron View Post
    I would rate a table saw as the #1 must have woodworking tool in your shop. Problem you might find the router table is too small for larger pieces. I would much prefer my ts with a dado blade. It allows me to turn out the job much quicker.
    I would agree if onenis looking to populate their shop with stationarymtools. Many shops don't have the room or budget to support large power tools such as a table saw. There is much that can be done with other tools. Might not be as easy, but still can be done.
    "When we build let us think we build forever. Let it not be for present delight nor for present use alone. Let it be such work that our descendants will thank us for, and let us think, as we lay stone upon stone, that a time is to come when these stones will be held sacred because our hands have touched them, and that men will say, as they look upon the labor and wrought substance of them, "See! This our fathers did for us."
    John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

    Comment


    • #17
      Re: Router Tables by Rube Goldberg Co.

      Name:  04c86c9f63e8e822e35fbb50cb1a175c.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  490.1 KBName:  20532a4ad910c3ee6df8d2294c37228f.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  291.4 KB

      So, here's the DIY router table. I just finished my truck shelving and this never failed me. I used 2x4s screwed to handy saw horses. I took the router plate off and mounted it directly to my table with the factory screws. The table top is a piece of swanstone shower wall. It's a slick but strong surface. I inset the router screws into the tabletop. I forget where I got the fence thingy. I used 2 screws from my scrap bucket to mount it. They go into 3/4" plywood underneath. The fence is fully adjustable.
      ~~

      ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

      Comment


      • #18
        Re: Router Tables by Rube Goldberg Co.

        As long as it works for you, and is safe, that's great. About the only thing I would suggest from that picture is that the 'fence' is significantly small and I think you'd find accuracy (and safety) to increase dramatically if you would extend the 'fence' on both infeed and outfeed. The longer the fence, the more accurate will be the support of your stock as you feed it across the router bit. To some degree, it really isn't much different from supporting the edge of stock as you guide it on a table saw. A good straight fence-like guide is essential to both accuracy and safety.

        CWS

        Comment


        • #19
          Re: Router Tables by Rube Goldberg Co.

          I agree with the above statement. That fence is pretty small, and short as well. You can easily design a router table fence from cabinet grade ply that you can clamp to the table. Would be a good idea to put a DC port in the fence too.

          Comment


          • #20
            Re: Router Tables by Rube Goldberg Co.

            Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
            As long as it works for you, and is safe, that's great. About the only thing I would suggest from that picture is that the 'fence' is significantly small and I think you'd find accuracy (and safety) to increase dramatically if you would extend the 'fence' on both infeed and outfeed. The longer the fence, the more accurate will be the support of your stock as you feed it across the router bit. To some degree, it really isn't much different from supporting the edge of stock as you guide it on a table saw. A good straight fence-like guide is essential to both accuracy and safety.

            CWS
            Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
            I agree with the above statement. That fence is pretty small, and short as well. You can easily design a router table fence from cabinet grade ply that you can clamp to the table. Would be a good idea to put a DC port in the fence too.

            For a temporary setup that will be torn down and thrown away it was pretty good.
            ~~

            ... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

            Comment


            • #21
              Re: Router Tables by Rube Goldberg Co.

              Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
              For a temporary setup that will be torn down and thrown away it was pretty good.
              As long as it is safe.

              Comment

              Working...
              X