Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Router Material Feed

Originally posted by johncameron View Post
    I would rate a table saw as the #1 must have woodworking tool in your shop. Problem you might find the router table is too small for larger pieces. I would much prefer my ts with a dado blade. It allows me to turn out the job much quicker.
    I would agree if onenis looking to populate their shop with stationarymtools. Many shops don't have the room or budget to support large power tools such as a table saw. There is much that can be done with other tools. Might not be as easy, but still can be done.
    ---------------
    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
    ---------------
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
    ---------
    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
    ---------
    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Re: Router Tables by Rube Goldberg Co.

Attachment Attachment

So, here's the DIY router table. I just finished my truck shelving and this never failed me. I used 2x4s screwed to handy saw horses. I took the router plate off and mounted it directly to my table with the factory screws. The table top is a piece of swanstone shower wall. It's a slick but strong surface. I inset the router screws into the tabletop. I forget where I got the fence thingy. I used 2 screws from my scrap bucket to mount it. They go into 3/4" plywood underneath. The fence is fully adjustable.
      Attached Files
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

As long as it works for you, and is safe, that's great. About the only thing I would suggest from that picture is that the 'fence' is significantly small and I think you'd find accuracy (and safety) to increase dramatically if you would extend the 'fence' on both infeed and outfeed. The longer the fence, the more accurate will be the support of your stock as you feed it across the router bit. To some degree, it really isn't much different from supporting the edge of stock as you guide it on a table saw. A good straight fence-like guide is essential to both accuracy and safety.

CWS

Comment

I agree with the above statement. That fence is pretty small, and short as well. You can easily design a router table fence from cabinet grade ply that you can clamp to the table. Would be a good idea to put a DC port in the fence too.

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
            As long as it works for you, and is safe, that's great. About the only thing I would suggest from that picture is that the 'fence' is significantly small and I think you'd find accuracy (and safety) to increase dramatically if you would extend the 'fence' on both infeed and outfeed. The longer the fence, the more accurate will be the support of your stock as you feed it across the router bit. To some degree, it really isn't much different from supporting the edge of stock as you guide it on a table saw. A good straight fence-like guide is essential to both accuracy and safety.

CWS
            Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
            I agree with the above statement. That fence is pretty small, and short as well. You can easily design a router table fence from cabinet grade ply that you can clamp to the table. Would be a good idea to put a DC port in the fence too.

For a temporary setup that will be torn down and thrown away it was pretty good.
            ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Plumber Punky View Post
              For a temporary setup that will be torn down and thrown away it was pretty good.
              As long as it is safe.

Comment

Working...
              X