Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lining up the runners

Ok folks,

i chimed in here a few weeks ago asking some questions about cross cut sleds. I received several links to several sites with plans and articles. One problem i am trying to figure is getting the runners on square and even so the thing is square to the table top. I initally thought to put some slow setting glue on them, set the sled square on the table and shoot finishing nails through the top to secure them. then flip screw and clamp until dry. Alternatively, my thought was to measure and line up to cut 2 shallow rabbet's forlining up the runners?

The other thing i was thinking i realized will not work while i was typing here.

Need one last question answered on the sled.

Thanks All
    \"A SHIP OF WAR IS THE BEST AMBASSADOR\"<br /><br />OLIVER CROMWELL

Why not put your runners in the slots with some double-stick tape on top, lightly place your sled on them, line it up, press down firmly, remove from saw and flip over, drill holes, then remove runners and double-stick tape, then secure with desired fasteners. That’s what I would try right off the top of my head.

Woodslayer

Comment

Wood and Space - that is exactly what they recommended on Tools and Techniques recently for creating cross cut sleds or any type of sled that needed to run in the two runners on your table saw. Seemed to work really well for him and hey, it can't hurt.

I haven't built one yet but as soon as I do, that is the method I plan on using.
      Character is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

Comment

See that is why I come here. The blatently obvious never seems to find me!

Comment

Hi I'm just a newbie to this site but I'd thought I would put my two cents in. I built a cross-cut sled as well and this is how I did it!!
          1-Take your base piece and fasten the runners to it(I used UHMW)
          2-Fasten a temp fence to the infeed and outfeed sides.
          3-Run it through the saw halfway
          4-remove temp fence from outfeed side and fasten permanent fence accurately using a good square that is against the saw kerf.
          5-Run through saw again and repeat step 4 for infeed side.

Hope this helps and if anyone has any input on this it would do no harm as knowledge is something we all need!!!

Comment

Something I tried on mine was to install the runners in the slots lay panel and mark runner locations on panel. Remove the panel and runners from saw and then install the runners to the panel. I then placed the assembly on the saw to check fit. I then ran the saw blade up into the panel leaving un-cut panel on the in-feed and out-feed area of the panel. I used the saw kerf for a square line to install the front and back stops. Works well and has a very square cut.
            three finger

Comment

Spacebluesonoma Wrote:
              One problem i am trying to figure is getting the runners on square and even so the thing is square to the table top. I initally thought to put some slow setting glue on them, set the sled square on the table and shoot finishing nails through the top to secure them. then flip screw and clamp until dry. Alternatively, my thought was to measure and line up to cut 2 shallow rabbet's forlining up the runners?
              When I made my panel cutter, I lined up the base (sled) with the saw blade and front edge of the saw. I marked the width of the miter slot with a pencil, then cut a 1/4" deep dado the length of the sled. Then I sized the miter guage runner (I made mine from quarter-sawn oak) to size and glued & screwed it in the dado.

I did this for 2 main reasons:

1. If the glue and screws loosen then the sled will still remain true.

2. The runner won't shift on you.
              Dimensional Carpentry & Custom Woodworking
              Historic Renovations, Restoration, & Custom Log Homes

I Beat The Competition Hammersdown!

Comment

This weekend I tried to make mine and had 2 problems. I tried to make it from melamine and oak runners, I set and squared the melamine on the table and clamped it down. Drilled 6 countersink holes (3 on each runner). I then took my runners, put glue on them, slid them in the miter slots on the table, drove the screws, flipped it, hit the runners with the finishing nailer, and set it to dry.

Somehow, one of the runners shifted and it did not run parallel.

My first project after my recovery is going to be to go get a good piece of plywood, cut the dado's and get her done right.

Comment

Working...
                X