X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZCI Question

I just got my first table saw, a used TS3650. The previous owner had installed a Leecraft zero clearance insert. After bringing the saw home, I used a dial indicator to align the blade to within 1/1000". Now, with the ZCI installed, the blade rubs against one of the edges and makes noise. I tried using a needle file to widen the slot, but the material seems to be resilient to my efforts. I have made some cuts, and it seems to cut fine. Should I worry about the blade rubbing? If so, any tips to widen the slot?

Re: ZCI Question

If you are sure it's aligned right, I wouldn't think the rubbing is a big deal. It will eventually wear away your ZCI where the blade rubs in it. I'd be more worried about dulling my blade.

Comment

Congradulations on your new tble saw. The TS3650 is certaintly a good one and should serve you well.

On the ZCI, you may end up getting a new blank or making your own. They are easy to make and you should
      make a bunch, maybe 4 or more, while you are setup to do so. Then you will have a new blank when you need it
      for that new blade or bevel cut.

It best to match up your ZCIs to a particular blade. Make a note on the back side with a Sharpie or pencil as to
      which blade it is for.

Did you get the original insert with the saw too? You will wamt that.

If you don't feel like making them you can buy them for about $13 each, check my
      TS3650 thread for info on making your own ZCIs, I believe more than one member
      wrote up how they did it or provided links to information on making your own or where
      you can buy them.

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/se...archid=1522850
      Last edited by Bob D.; 08-04-2013, 06:29 AM.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

I would not suffer it rubbing. Make yourself 10 or so blank ZCIs, and cut a new one. If you change your blade, put a new zci in. Use the others for dado blades and spares.

I made 6 the other day in about 15 mins. Use a router table and a bearing bit. I normally use laminate flooring scraps, but MDF works well too.

Comment

Looks like another one post wonder. You'd think they could at least hang around for day and if they get some help say thanks, but in todays world I guess that's asking too much. Since everything on the internet is free, there must be an implication that no thanks is required when people offer to help.
          ---------------
          Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
          ---------------
          “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
          ---------
          "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
          ---------
          sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks for the comment Bob!

That's a real pet peeve of mine. I've done everything from making illustrations, wiring diagrams (had to take my BD4600 apart of that), and even looking up stuff or contacting old co-workers at Ingersoll-Rand to help out a few "one post wonders". While I do like to be helpful, one would think that at least a "Thankyou" in return wouldn't take much effort. Apparently it is!

CWS

Comment

Working...
            X