X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Band saw

I am setting up shop and accumulating tools. I grew up with a father that was an avid furniture maker, unfortunately I did not learn from him as I should, more interested in chasing girls. I know a little but have much to learn. I have a table saw, jointer and planer. I am now looking towards a drill press or band saw.

My question is regarding the band saw. I am not that familiar with the uses, other than some obvious ones, and need some help. As I get more into woodworking is a bandsaw a necessity? Being a novice right now would a drill press or a band saw be more useful? I recall my dad using each often.

Thanks for your help

Loaded question! I use both a lot but if I had to choose one it would be the Band Saw
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Depends on what type of woodworking your going to do.
      The bandsaw is good for curves and resawing and specialty cutting.

Comment

Figure out what types of projects you might be making for starters and see what tools you might need.

Drill press is important, but get at least a 12" benchtop or larger. Small drill presses are next to useless---you're better off with a drill guide for your portable/cordless drill.

Bandsaw----was my last major tool purchased and wish I'd done it sooner. However, unless you plan loads of sweeping curves in a piece or will be doing a load of re-saw work, you should also consider a good scroll saw, which, with a little patience can do a great deal---even on 3/4" hardwood. But, a good bandsaw, which doesn't give you fits when resawing is going to cost you upwards of $500, depending on who you talk to.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X