X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• substituting woods

Does anyone know if I can use western cypress (used for exterior decking) as a replacement for hard to get northern white cedar. I use the cedar to build and repair wood canvas canoes.

Sandy,

According to the book "World Woods in Color" cypress is an used to places that come in contact with ground or with moisture. Also used for structures and shipbuilding. The book also states it works similar to ceder except for the knots which are more common. It sounds like cypress would make an excellent replacement for ceder. I would also suggest this book. It by William A. Lincoln and provides a color photo of every species of wood along with a brief description.

Jake

Comment

cypress wood is use in michigan for the bottom board in bee hives, it is insect proof and the north climate doesnt bother it at all, it lays in snow and ice 4-5 month with no problems I have no idea how it bends /steam process but for it long life, there are log cabins in florida way over 100 years old still in good shape that have no insect problems

Comment

Sandy, I'm not sure if the 'Northern White Cedar' is the same as the 'Yellow Cedar' (British Columbia region) I use. The yellow cedar is almost rot proof. Traditionally, it was used in western boat building for keels and ribs, both for its strength and rot resistance. It looks very much like clear white pine, but with tighter grain and an unmistakable aroma. It is one of the hardest softwoods you can find, gets even harder with time, and is truely a pleasure to mill. I use it for furniture making, decorative boxes, and recently, my new sundeck. In the case of the deck, I left the decking portion natural (untreated) and it has aged to a beautiful silver grey. Also, it was ruff cut, fresh from the mill, and hasn't warped, checked or cracked in any way. The other really nice part is that the exposed (weathered) grain has a tendency to 'curl down' thereby becoming splinter free. Easy on the bare feet If you can fine it back east, you'll love it. Cheers, Jules

Comment

Working...
        X