X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting board snafu

I decided to make use of some scraps and make a few cutting boards. I got all of my pieces ready and had it mostly glued together when I realized that I didn't use waterproof glue-- just Titebond original. Is there any way to save the cutting boards at this point or should I start over with waterproof glue?

Cut them into decorative shapes and finish as kitchen decorations. LOL You might "seal" them in the thick bar top finish that would make them completely water proof. That gets expensive though.
    info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

I'd try leaving one alone. See how it handles a normal washing at your house, it might be just fine.
      JJC

Comment

thanks for the suggestions. why do the scraps give you the most headaches?

Comment

godsmacker: I have a cutting board I made 11 years ago--glued with Titebond glue. I sealed it with hot cooking oil (corn oil or peanut oil) after it was completed and it has been just fine. Jim

Comment

hot cooking oil. i'm interested. how hot? how did you seal it?

Comment

I have been using hot cooking oil since the early 50's to seal breadboards, cutting boards , and chopping blocks.( A process I learned as an apprentice from an old Swedish carpenter.) When the board is ready for use (except for sealing) I heat the oil in a pan to a point that I can still work with it without burning myself-then I dip a clean cloth in it and thoroughly saturate the board. I the wipe off the excess and let it sit for a day. I usually apply a second coat the next day. I reseal about every three to four years, depending on how much it is used. On boards that are not fastened down, I seal all sides. HTH Jim

Comment

Working...
              X