Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fence warped??

Jake,
    I routinely check the squareness of my fence (using a ruler with graduations of 1/64th of an inch)to the miter slot. When the right side of the fence is in perfect alignment with the miter slot the left side is not. Measurements from the rear fence (by the rear fence track) compared to the front fence (by the front fence track) shows a difference of 5/64ths of an inch (to the miter slot). How do I correct this? I push the fence forward before locking the fence.

Steve

Check the distances between your mitre slots and make sure they are parallel and also check your fence to see if it's been swelled out on one side or the other

Comment

The top and bottom measurement from the left miter track to the right miter track is exactly the same at 9-1/8". I have several jigs that utilize both miter tracks and I have not experienced any problems with them. The problem only occurs when I use the fence. My big question is this, once you align the right side of the fence (with the miter slot), the left side should also be aligned too, right?? Mine is not. If I want to use the left side of the fence I have to realign the left fence with the miter slot (and then the right side comes out of alignment).

Steve

Comment

Steve,

Place a straight edge on the front face of the saw table and make sure it is straight all the way across. This could be the source of you trouble.

Jake

Comment

Jake,
          I have placed a metal straight edge across front to back on the table and everything checks out flat.
          Steve

Comment

Take the fence off the ts and turn it upside down. Measure across its width in several places to see if it doesn't have a belly or an inward bow someplace. Also measure the top and bottom of the fence along its width. This one has me interested. If you still can't find the problem feel free to e-mail me at: sobelle4@hotmail.com
            Be sure to put a notation in the subject line. I may be able to go into more detail in an e-mail and if necassary I could give you my ph.no.

Comment

Well, I think I got it licked. I started from ground zero and took the whole saw table, extensions, and fence apart. I made absolutely sure that the extensions were perfectly flat with the table and that the mounting surfaces for the front and back fence tracks were also perfectly flush (no shims needed). Finally, I reinstalled the fence tracks and placed the rip fence on the table. I locked the rip fence over the recessed blade and measured from the right miter slot to the right side of the rip fence in about ten different spots. All measurements came out perfectly in agreement. Next, I measured from the left miter slot to the left side of the rip fence (this was the side that was giving me the problems) in about twenty different spots. All measurements came out perfectly in agreement. Did I mention that I am a scientist. Thank-you everyone for all your help. I did not have the opportunity to make a test cut because my little angel is sleeping but I have no doubt that (based on the measurements) it should perform flawless.
              Steve

Comment

Glad you got your saw fixed. I saw in your profile that you are a scientist. Are you also mad ?

Comment

Only when my TS is not behaving.

Comment

Obviously you are much more patient then this engineer. I get mad when my jointer/planer blades get nicked, my bandsaw doesn't co-operate or when a project doesn't go as planned and most especially when the kittens mistake a pile of saw dust for..... well never mind that. Want a kitten ?

Comment

Working...
                    X