X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RS1000?

New to the game here. Great Forums/People Anyway, in the process of setting up a home shop (space not an issue) and was wondering the pros and cons of the RS1000. I was in HD today and talked with reps and they thought the RS1000 was a good fit due to its versatality (x-cut, rip, miter/compund, disc sander). I am planning on producing several wood items (no furniture at this point) and already have a buyer for the items. I was leaning twords a the TS2424 and the MS1250 intially as the meat with later additions as the business grows.
    In the back of my mind bigger is better, but having trouble deciding.

All opinions are appreciated. Thanks.
    Matt

Red,
    Glad to have you on the forum. Seems to me you have a plan, but unless you have experience with a RAS I would delay that purchase. A RAS can be very dangerous and is really not suited for ripping, etc. Of course it is great for cross cutting, but I think you can do that for less expense and using a tool that is probably safer.
    I would be glad to hear what some others think on this one.

[ 02-22-2002: Message edited by: thepapabear ]
    thepapabear<BR>When a bureaucrat has a hammer, everything begins to look like a nail.

Comment

the ras is dangerous. I would get the ridgid ts2424.
      Andy B.

Comment

My first purchase was the RAS1000 (from a friend who no longer had room for it). I had the same thoughts about it as you do. However, after using it for ripping several times, I bought the TS2424. Much safer for that operation. I also suspect that using it as a disc sander would be a good way of quicky clogging the motor with sawdust.
        Mark

Comment

Hi: Ras is a great tool. Very versatile, and no more dangerous than anything else if you pay attention. Btw, I've had a Craftsman ras which was made by emerson, and recently upgraded by them , for over 20 years without so much as a hiccup. My 2cents
          He who dies with the most power tools wins!

Comment

I have to agree with woodawg in that as to the safety record on my ras which is also an old craftsman. I will admit I don't feel as comfortable with it as I do with the ts even though they have been in my tool iventory since the early 80's. I don't rip with it any more instead it is the primary crosscut and dado machine. My 2 cents worth is there are probably many other tools you could use before you really need a ras as long as you have a good ts.

NOW you have 4 cents worth of advise. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Have had 2 differant RAS. NONE NOW and do not have any plan to get another..DANGEROUS, 1st one put a 2 x 4 through the wall trying to rip..safety dogs failed, 2nd just did not like it. Have 2412 now and LOVE it, That with a compound miter 12" I do anything I want.. Think hard and long on RAS. As said before you have to THINK AND ACT SAFETY or you will be hurt BAD..

Comment

Any tool is only as safe as the user.

The trend these days is that the compound mitre saw (CMS) and the sliding compound mitre saw (SCMS) are becoming suitable replacements for the RAS.

Set-up and space requirements for a CMS is less than for a RAS, as well as the price (generally speaking).

One of the first tools I bought was a CMS. I will probably upgrade it to a SCMS in a couple of years, but I don't see a need for a RAS.

Just my humble opinion.

Jeff

Comment

I've had the RS1000 for about 14 months now, and now that I have a RAS I wouldn't do without it.

I have a Tablesaw, so I don't do any ripping on the RAS, but crosscuts and dados are a dream on the RAS. Repeatability is so much easier on the RAS, and I prefer to cut dados from the top than on the Tablesaw.

I haven't felt unsafe using at all, although it does have it's own concerns you need to be aware of. I had my Dad run me through the paces on his (20 year old Craftsman)before I had used mine. Having a demo with someone who can explain what to expect makes a big difference. The big difference is that the blade will want to pull itself through the wood, and will want to "climb" your workpiece. Once you get the hang of guiding the blade with some practice cuts you'll do just fine. I would even go so far as to say that making wider crosscuts on longer material is safer on the RAS than on the TS, and capacity on the RAS is significantly more than a SCMS. Just depends on what kind of work you'll be doing.

I will say that I got a pretty sweet deal on mine when I bought it though, with a couple combined discounts, $100 trade in and 12 months same as cash (bought with other tools) it was an easier call to make than if I had been paying full price.

Pete
                  \"Last year we couldn\'t win at home.<BR>This year we can\'t win on the road.<BR>My failure as a coach is that I <BR>can\'t think of anyplace else to play.\"<BR> - Coach Harry Neale, Canucks

Comment

Hello Red,

I think the RAS will be fine if you need the cross-cut capacity. As far as dadoes I guess that would be a matter of personal preference. Lets face it all power are dangerous to a certain degree. I do however think a tablesaw might be a little more versatile. You can always cross-cut with a good straight edge and quality circular saw. I do this alot and I have a RAS. The real key is understanding and respecting all of our tools and they will perform as they should. Hope this helps.

Gregg

Comment

Working...
                    X