X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bandsaw upgrade

As a new member this is my first post.First,hello all, my name is Dennis, my friends call me DM.I suppose I'm addicted to wood and tools as you all are. Here is my question. I recently purchased a Ridgid BS and find it OK except I think it can use some additional HP. Has anyone upgraded the motor to a full horse or bigger? I noticed the next size Ridgid almost doubled the RPM's. I don't know how this would effect the tools operation. All in all I think it't a reasonable tool considering the amount paid ($379.00). I'm thinking I might go to 1 horse and upgrade the pully, belt and fence. I,m still not convinced the Carter setup for me would be worth the additional cost but I'm all ears.Thanks for your time.
    DMB
    DMB

Follow-up to my own prior post. Has anyone succesfully upgraded the motor on the ridgid BS without altering the rpms? If so was it necessary to change the belt and pullies to conform to existing specs? Thanks for any help.I'm happy with the saw as is with the exception to lack of power when resawing. I think this is one tool where you need to purchase with the intention of work you will be doing down the line.Nevertheless it's a good tool to learn the fundamentals on and able to be bought at a reasonable price.
    DMB

Comment

I think you are going to need to keep the blade speed (FPM Ft/Minute) somewhere near what it is now. Those speeds weren't choosen lightly I'd bet. There are a relationship between blade materials and tempering, the mix of wood types to be cut, and the various feed rates and probably a couple other variables just to make it interesting.

You could look at a 14" BS purchase this way (kinda like you said), it's a good first bandsaw to gain proficiency with and develop technique. If you should graduate beyond the capabilities of the saw (with or w/o the riser extension) into the realm of resawing wide stuff on the order of 10" or more, then think about buying a second BS like a 17 or 18" with a 2 or 2.5HP, 220V motor, and all the other improvements you will get with this next level BS. The 'old' BS could be kept if space allows for doing more delicate work with a 1/4 or 1/8" blade mounted most of the time, and a wider blade in the BMF BS for the 'real work'

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Bob.As a small Contractor I've used just about every tool over the past 20+ years with few exceptions. I find myself and my body leaning more toward shop work and find it opens a hole new way to spend money.I'm a new user to the BS so I figured I'd crawl before walking.The problem is my desire to resaw exceeds my current ability to use the BS I purchased. I think your absolutly right on the mark.I may upgrade the belt to a link belt and purchase a good fence otherwise I'll leave well enough alone until my abilities catch up with my needs. I just hope my pocketbook can keep pace.
        Thanks again.
        DM
        DMB

Comment

I am surprised at the few responses, I think you can upgrade your motor to a 1.5 HP or a 2 HP with the same RPMs and rotation direction. I hope to do this some day. I have the BS1400 and my only complaint is lack of power for resawing. I think a new motor will cost $150 - $200. So one must decide if the saw is worth that upgrade. How ever a replacement saw that can cut up to 12" for resawing would be much more costly.

Comment

Originally posted by ActLtd:
            As a new member this is my first post.First,hello all, my name is Dennis, my friends call me DM.I suppose I'm addicted to wood and tools as you all are. Here is my question. I recently purchased a Ridgid BS and find it OK except I think it can use some additional HP. Has anyone upgraded the motor to a full horse or bigger? I noticed the next size Ridgid almost doubled the RPM's. I don't know how this would effect the tools operation. All in all I think it't a reasonable tool
            considering the amount paid ($379.00). I'm thinking I might go to 1 horse and upgrade the pully, belt and fence. I,m still not convinced the Carter setup for me would be worth the additional cost but I'm all ears.Thanks for your time.
            DMB
            Do a search on BS1400 and you should find a lot of info.

http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

Call them for advice, their blades will make a huge difference. Best $ too.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your imput.I purchased the Kreg fence,link belt and upgraded blade. With the exception of maybe some cool blocks I think the rest is up to me. I can't blame the tool for my lack of experience. I did notice that after the installation of the Link belt I can open the bottom door 90 degrees. Appriciate any and all tips.

DM
              DMB

Comment

Working...
              X