X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying a bit for a profile

Can anyone identify the following profile and a suitable router bit to make this?

http://www.saroyanlumber.com/catalog...l.asp?sku=2254

Story behind this is that I purchased some of this in maple to go with the maple hardwood floors I was installing a couple of years ago. I stopped working on this while remodelling a bathroom - I had planned to complete the work after finishing the bathroom stuff in order not to damage the new floor which I held off from installing near the project area.

Now that I'm about to resume they are no longer making this in maple due to lack of demand. They agreed to mill some especially for me but a month later i'm having difficulty getting firm availability dates so as a backup I'm looking into possibly doing this myself.

Amana has a bit which is very similar but not indentical.

Does anyone know of a bit that can make this profile.

Re: Identifying a bit for a profile

if you know of some one with a old Belsaw woodmaster, planer or a William and Hussly molder a bit can be ground that would be almost 100%.

the other option would be to break it down in to smaller sections and make it up and then glue to a thin backing
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
      if you know of some one with a old Belsaw woodmaster, planer or a William and Hussly molder a bit can be ground that would be almost 100%.

the other option would be to break it down in to smaller sections and make it up and then glue to a thin backing
      I don't do much woodworking so unfortunately the items mentioned don't ring a bell let alone knowing someone who has them. It's not clear if it is custom shape that was made for the molding company or if it is a standard profile. This is the Amana bit I found which looks close - http://www.toolstoday.com/p-6001-col...-moldings.aspx. I'm not sure how to search the net for a profile - I can contact a few router bit manufacturers and ask if they make something that matches this.

I'm trying to get that info out of the molding company but no reply so far

Comment

You most likelt won't find one bit. You'll need a couple bits and make multiple passes in a certain order to achieve what you want.
        ---------------
        Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
        ---------------
        “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
        ---------
        "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
        ---------
        sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

this is a profile of a moulding plane blade,
          as far as a name for it I cant help there but there are companies that can make the blades for a planer but i have to tell you they are expensive.
          for just a single job it wouldn't be worthwhile to have them specially made.
          but if you have a planer then you could have the cutters made and cut and sell moulding on the side
          shooting the s*** is a lot more fun when you use hollow points (much more splatter)

coffee hell gimme booze!!!

Comment

Working...
          X