Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few questions before purchasing the R4512

Hello,

My name is Nir.

I live in Israel and i would to buy the R4512 table saw for my woodworking hobbey and ship it to Israel.

For that i would appreciate to get help from the friends here to know the exact dimensions of the the table saw package including the weight.

Another question, Since in Israel the electrical voltage is 220v , does the table saw is able to work on a 220v ?

?Will I have to buy a special voltage converter

(perhaps like that http://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Conver.../dp/B001ES8YY6)

And finally, because I realized after reading the forum here, that there were a number of problems (especially alignment ) with some of the saw's, can I check today that the one i intend to purchase at Home Depot is without the known problems (maybe by checking the serial number of the saw and make sure that it is not the damaged line)

I would appreciate
    the forum members help, because once I ordered the saw i can not return it to the store (as I mentioned– I am going to ship it
    internationally)

Thank you very much
    Nir

Re: Few questions before purchasing the R4512

Really appreciate your help

Comment

my advice from reading all the horror stories on here? save your money and buy a durable, dependable, quality made tool; and one designed for your power structure. If it were my shop I wouldnt buy that saw.

edit: if the tool is not capable of 220 volt operation then the converter you looked at will not do it. it is only rated for 100 watts. you will need one capable of starting the motor and running it. starting it will always take a lot more power than just running it.
      Last edited by Plumber Punky; 09-17-2013, 10:45 PM.
      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Nir - sorry I'm not much of a woodworker and don't own this saw so I cannot answer the question about the saw size etc although you best bet would be to contact Ridgid directly as they should be able to answer questions regarding package size, warranty etc.

Regarding your electrical question - as Plumber Punky has pointed out the converter you have identified is way underpowered for the saw. Firstly the saw will not work on 220V directly - the motor will likely burn out if you connected it directly to 220V. So you will a step down transformer. Since the saw needs about 1.5kW you should get a converter rated at least for 2kW. The one you have picked out is rated for 100W which is way too low.

Answer thing to remember is that the mains frequency in the US is 60Hz and the frequency in a lot of countries using 220V is 50Hz including Isreal. This will also have an effect on the saw. It will run slower and I'm not an expert on induction motors which this saw uses but if frequency is critical to the operation of an induction motor it may not even work at all.

My advice would be to contact Ridgid directly to get clarification.

Comment

The motor on the R4512 can be switched to run on 220v page 9 of the owners manual shows how to do it. I own this saw and have had none of the problems that are described in the forums here. As far as the dimensions and weight of the box I would can run to home depot and get them for you. Do you want the weight in lbs or kg and the the dimensions in inches or cm?
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

That's interesting - the specs on this saw on the Ridgid website makes no mention of 220V operation.

Comment

Also to add another point that just occurred to me - I'm not sure that the 220V in the US which I believe is typically generated using two anti-phase 110V (at least in a home environment) is the same as 220V found in many countries which is 220V single phase with a neutral and ground. Is the saw designed for 220V operation in the US only or will it also work overseas? I would still suggesting contacting Ridgid tech support for an answer.

Comment

Funny how they seem to have time to post a couple dozen YouTube posts every week but not enough time to support a potential sale for a table saw.
                If they aren't interested in helping or can't discuss because its outside the US then why not just say so.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thank you all,

As for Dimensions - I I received a reply from Ridgid (48 x 40 x 28.33, weight 268 lbs). Tod, thanks a lot...

As for the voltage issue - the saw can be converted to 220V. It is written on page 9 as Tod wrote and Ridgig Confirmed that for me.

The only question remaining - "The alignment problems" (imbalance of the blade and fence alignment problems).

how can i make sure that the saw i inted to order from Home Depot does not suffer from those "problems"? (maybe by checking the serial number of the saw and make sure that it is not from that damaged line).
                  When I asked Ridgid about these "problems "- their answer was "that there are no known issues affecting model R4512" but this is not what the members here are saying

I would realy appreciate your sincere help on that.

Thank you
                  Nir

Comment

So what do you recommend me to do about The alignment problems of the blade and the fence ?
                    Should i be worry ?

Nir

Comment

Originally posted by nirb View Post
                      As for the voltage issue - the saw can be converted to 220V. It is written on page 9 as Tod wrote and Ridgig Confirmed that for me.
                      If you have 50 hz power the motor will derate in the horsepower category. Dont expect it to be as powerful.

how can i make sure that the saw i inted to order from Home Depot does not suffer from those "problems"? (maybe by checking the serial number of the saw and make sure that it is not from that damaged line).
                      When I asked Ridgid about these "problems "- their answer was "that there are no known issues affecting model R4512" but this is not what the members here are saying
                      you cant be guaranteed 'no alignment problems'. Rather, I would think it would be easier for me to say 'you will have alignment problems'.
                      ~~

... it was plumbed by Ray Charles and his helper Stevie Wonder

Comment

Working...
                      X