X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new 3650 owner, have a few questions

Hello everyone! I just recently picked up my first piece of "real" woodworking equipment, a TS3650 with a Delta fence upgrade. I got it from the original owner for a price I thought was fair. It did not include legs but I was able to source a factory Ridgid stand (which I have yet to move the saw onto).

My first question is about the Herculift assembly. The stand I got does not have it, and I am wondering if the assembly provides any additional rigidity, or is it merely a convenience to move the TS around the shop? I would like the mobility, but if the Herculift does not add anything else then I may as well just fabricate a dolly. The stand does seem a little flimsy, so if the Herculift will help stiffen the base then that would be worthwhile.

My other question is about how to attach the stand to the TS. The setup instructions have you do everything while the saw is upside down. My understanding is the various bolts and nuts on the base are supposed to be left loose and then tightened up once the saw is on the base. Is this really necessary or can I just get the base reasonably level and then set the saw on it? The saw is so heavy I don't really want to mess around with moving it more than once. So I want to do this properly and be prepared ahead of time (for when my helper comes over to help me lift it).

I've already done a few projects with this saw and am quite pleased with it. I've added a zero clearance throat plate and have a MicroJig waiting to be installed (the customer support at MicroJig is extraordinary by the way).

Re: new 3650 owner, have a few questions

Originally posted by boy412 View Post
    Hello everyone! I just recently picked up my first piece of "real" woodworking equipment, a TS3650 with a Delta fence upgrade. I got it from the original owner for a price I thought was fair. It did not include legs but I was able to source a factory Ridgid stand (which I have yet to move the saw onto).

My first question is about the Herculift assembly. The stand I got does not have it, and I am wondering if the assembly provides any additional rigidity, or is it merely a convenience to move the TS around the shop?

no rigidity at all. but one of the best open tool stand mobile bases ever produced.

I would like the mobility, but if the Herculift does not add anything else then I may as well just fabricate a dolly. The stand does seem a little flimsy, so if the Herculift will help stiffen the base then that would be worthwhile.

you'd be better served using any form of bracing from leg to leg to strengthen the leg stand.

My other question is about how to attach the stand to the TS. The setup instructions have you do everything while the saw is upside down. My understanding is the various bolts and nuts on the base are supposed to be left loose and then tightened up once the saw is on the base.

doesn't sound like the instructions i've seen on other ridgid TSs. when i moved a similar saw (older c-man 113 series TS) off a wooden framed DIY mobile base onto a ridgid leg stand, i didn't leave anything loose on the TS. just got the TS onto the new leg stand and attached it too the leg set with four bolts.

Is this really necessary or can I just get the base reasonably level and then set the saw on it? The saw is so heavy I don't really want to mess around with moving it more than once. So I want to do this properly and be prepared ahead of time (for when my helper comes over to help me lift it).

I've already done a few projects with this saw and am quite pleased with it. I've added a zero clearance throat plate and have a MicroJig waiting to be installed (the customer support at MicroJig is extraordinary by the way).
    good luck with your new saw. the 3650/60 were based on the ridgid 3612, probably one of the best contractor saws ever produced.
    there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Originally posted by FINER9998 View Post
      Doesn't sound like the instructions I've seen on other Ridgid TS's. When I moved a similar saw (older c-man 113 series TS) off a wooden framed DIY mobile base onto a Ridgid leg stand, I didn't leave anything loose on the TS. just got the TS onto the new leg stand and attached it too the leg set with four bolts.
      Looks like they tell you to leave the bolts a little loose on the legs, then tighten them up once you get the saw attached?

Good luck with your new saw. The 3650/60 were based on the Ridgid 3612, probably one of the best contractor saws ever produced.
      Thanks! I'm really pleased with it so far. Now I need an outfeed table, or something to help with longer stock. But maybe after I install the Herculift. Sounds like it will be pretty handy.

Comment

My shop is on the smaller side so consequently I have to move my saw every time I use it. A permanent outfeed table would be nice but in my case at least not practical. Whenever I have a need for outfeed support, I use two RIDGID Flip Top Stands setup behind the saw, one on each side of the blade. This setup, although not as nice as a full outfeed table, actually works very well for me.
        Last edited by BadgerDave; 09-23-2013, 07:27 PM. Reason: Insert Link
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The only bolts you leave loose are the four that attach the herc u lift to the saw. I full nut is all that is required anymore than that and the herc u lift won't work properly.
          SSG, U.S. Army
          Retired
          K.I.S.S., R.T.F.M.

Comment

+1 on tod's comment. snug those four bolts up too tight and the lift will not function properly. DAMHIKT.

also, here's a link to bob d's great outfeed table write up:

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t7542/

following these comments will result in a nearly bullet proof out feed table.
            there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

Yeah...I had seen that writeup on the outfeed table. Pretty sweet!

I looked into pricing out the HercuLift parts from Ridgid. Pretty spendy so I'll probably just buy a universal mobile base from Rockler. Unless someone has a Herculift they aren't using and want to sell it? Please let me know. I figured this forum was an ideal place to ask.

Comment

Check out www.woodgears.ca for some homebrew mobile base ideas.
                ---------------
                Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                ---------------
                “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                ---------
                "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                ---------
                sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Personally, I don't find the herculift very good. I have it in my 3650, and I find it more hassle than it's worth. I do, however, have a permanent location for my TS. I only use the lift to move it once in a blue moon, and it doesn't do a fantastic job - it always requires me to get down and fiddle with this foot or that. When I relocate shops, I may not ever reattach it.

Comment

Originally posted by franklin pug View Post
                    Personally, I don't find the herculift very good. I have it in my 3650, and I find it more hassle than it's worth. I do, however, have a permanent location for my TS. I only use the lift to move it once in a blue moon, and it doesn't do a fantastic job - it always requires me to get down and fiddle with this foot or that. When I relocate shops, I may not ever reattach it.
                    Sounds like there could be one coming up for sale soon gents.

A bidding war may be the order of the day soon.
                    ---------------
                    Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                    ---------------
                    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                    ---------
                    "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                    ---------
                    sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Working...
                    X