X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Bench

I bought a shelf at a thrift store because it was made from redwood slices 3 1/2" thick. Lot of nice wood for $50.

So I was thinking of building a bench/table for woodworking. Not sure what I want exactly but I'm shopping for a couple of under the table vise's and dogs.

Don't need the tray...

Anyway, just looking for idea's, maybe links to plans etc.

Like to build a mortise and tenon frame/support.

The two planks I would use for the top are about 6' long and 12" or so wide.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Building a Bench

Do not have any real advice on your project at this time,

but good luck on it,
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

gosh there's maybe half a million free bench plans out there on the web.
      go to YouTube and search for new Yankee workshop and watch Norm build one of the benches from his TV series.
      go to any of the woodworking magazines websites and there are a number of plans available.

My question would be is a woodworking bench the best use of those big slabs of redwood? I know you're out there
      where it grows but here on the east coast we're not likely to ever see redwood pieces like that available, you'd have to order special.

what about a nice coffee table or console table? Maybe a entertainment center or TV stand? A pair of nightstands for someone special,
      maybe for you and the wife or one of your kids.
      ---------------
      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
      ---------------
      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
      ---------
      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
      ---------
      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

one of the first benches I built was just out of 2x4's glued up, and I did not have clamps yet so I drilled holes in the 2x4's and used "all thread", to clamp them and left the rods in the top on the edges I counter sunk the holes so the washers and rod was not in the way. if a person trims off the rounded edge say cut off 3/16 to 1/4" off of width so you have a square edge, and glue up and clamp some hand planning should finish it up, or some sanding .
        Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Since most work bench tops are made with hardwood I side with Mr. D
          on the use of your redwood. I believe it would be better used on
          another project. Redwood, being a conifer, seems like it would be
          too soft for the abuse a work top might undergo. But, hey, it's yours
          to do as you wish. As for plans, the problem is there are so many
          sources out there you can suffer from info overload. I had the
          opportunity to score a small amount of redwood that had been
          sitting idle for 25 yrs. Did some turnings and small projects from it.
          Very nice grain pattern. This is a spur stand I made for a gentleman
          in WY that makes custom silver spurs.
          Attachment
          Attached Files

Comment

As BHD said some nice straight Doug Fir 2x4s on edgework great. But be sure to get Fir, pine 2x4s will be too soft unless you plan to cover the top with something else like a sacrifical piece of hardboard. Use some 1x4 oak, or maybe even you redwood, to put a nice edge on the top. That might be a nice way to dress up your bench and not use all your redwood up on one project.
            ---------------
            Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
            ---------------
            “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
            ---------
            "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
            ---------
            sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Thanks guys.

Yes, wish I could think of something nice to do with the wood. I can use some to make some things for the barn, needs a new cupola.

It's not as great as I remember when I got it in the shop...

It's got a clear coat of much of it, and some twisting from drying but not much.

The two biggest pieces that I want to make the bench from are about 5' 7" long and the two together are a little under 30" wide. I think it will be strong enough for my purposes.

Guess I don't want to do anything too fancy, looked at a lot of antique benches and nothing that wild about, same with plans.

I could use it to build cabinets and things. More of a nice table about 30" high, that's really strong.

And talk about a junk stacker!

I had to clean for 10min to take a picture and they were only there for 1 day.

They're not 3 1/2" either, 2 5/8". I looked at a vise on ebay that was 2 5/8...

Attachment Attachment
              Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that's some beautiful wood. That will make one heavy duty bench. I'd use it for a bench if that is what you want to do. I think it would be great.

Comment

I'm about half way through putting it together, just do a little bit at a time. I'll have some pics here soon.

Comment

Hello Tacman
                    I admire your industrious nature,
                    Check out "Fine Woodworking" Magazine if you are really serious,they have great benck plans
                    I would suggest you top of your bench with 3/4" Oak or Maple
                    Good Luck and shoot ue some photos when its done

Dave Doyle
                    Los Angeles

Comment

Well it's pretty done, just a few things to do, when I get around to it.

It's short but it sure is handy, used it to make it's own drawers, really handy, always wanted a wood vise.

I used the two sides of the original shelf unit to make the top, they had those holes in it already to hold the shelves. They work great for dog holes.

With two vises it should be able to hold large pieces.

Suits my purposes.

Attachment
                      Attachment
                      Attached Files

Comment

"Suits my purposes."

That says it all. Nice work. Beautiful wood.

Comment

With the holes it was a good choice for the top.You will need to add some stringers to that base for it to last.

Jim

Comment

Great looking bench, looks really solid. Love the drawers. It will serve you well for a long time. Nothing beats custom made, it suits all your needs. Great job!

Comment

Working...
                            X