Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oak or Maple for trailer decking? Or Elm?

I'm redecking an old lowboy equipment trailer and maple and oak are the same price. Is one a better choice for being left outside and getting torn up by bulldozers and cranes? I was ready to flip a coin when someone told me what I really need is elm! He claims only elm has the tenacity to stand up to the rigors of heavy equipment trucking!

White oak is the choice for any outdoor project for durability and resistant to absorbing water. Other weather resistant woods are available, however they are expensive. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry:
    I'm redecking an old lowboy equipment trailer and maple and oak are the same price. Is one a better choice for being left outside and getting torn up by bulldozers and cranes? I was ready to flip a coin when someone told me what I really need is elm! He claims only elm has the tenacity to stand up to the rigors of heavy equipment trucking! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

Oak gets my vote. If they used it for shipbuilding, its gotta be good. To stand up to the elements like wind, rain, salt water, sunlight and structural stress as in the wooden ships of old, it will perform well for your trailer.

Comment

hafta agree with oak, used white oak on our 20ton tag about 3 years ago, has stood up well to our loaders and excavators. other than some discoloration looks just about as good as the day we put it on. used roughsawn 2"x10" in various lengths. When i say 2" though I mean 2", not that 1 3/4" stuff everyone else tries to pass off.

Comment

Working...
        X