Cutting Dados

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cutting Dados

We are way overthinking (engineering) this one.
    1/2" shelves and dados. Done & done.

Comment

Don't like 1/2" for shelving personally.

Comment

3/4 " Lot stronger for little $$,
        I can build anything You want , if you draw a picture of it , on the back of a big enough check .

Comment

blue_can,

Now that I see the picture, I think it should be a fairly simple project and perhaps we are "overthinking". I would prefer 3/4, and I think for the long expance of the top shelf, you may find that a bit flimsy (and subject to sag) for the longer unsupported stretch over where the cloths will hang.

The whole "strength" of this will be on that center structure which shows the drawers. I realize that you are not going to go there with the drawers, and just having shelves there is great.... but that assembly is really where the whole thing ties together and it will provide the strength of the entire structure. I don't see a lot of weight being put there: clothes, shoes, odds and ends of apparel. So, while dado-fitting the rather short shelves within that "box" would add strength, I'm not sure if that's even necessary, as there isn't much in the way of load (unless you've got a kid who may decide to use it as a ladder). One could even butt-joint the thing together using a good strong screw, like a Spax. The outer stretch of shelving to the left and right of that center piece a re tied to the walls, with horizontal supporting members running back to front (in the picture). That takes away any chance of sway.

As illustrated, the whole thing proves fairly sturdy and the walls retain everything in place.... but, I still would prefer 3/4, unless you've already purchased the materials... and this would especially be so IF you are going to fit that center box shelving into dados.

My opinion, for what it's worth,

CWS

ps, Either way, it's going to look great and is a worthy project. Good luck with it and post a picture when you're all done.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the further thoughts. No I have not started the project yet or bought the materials - I was going to do so today but I held off to think about it a bit more. I had also thought about the 1/2" shelf options - the only reason I did not consider it further would be having to buy a sheet of 1/2" plywood and not much of it would get used. As it turns out I probably will need to make a dado sled for the TS in order to support a piece of wood that wide - so it looks like I will end up making a jig after all.

So instead I worked on other things I needed to do for this project. I made a custom threshold out of Jatoba to go between the hardwood and the bathroom tile. All the woodwork it being done in maple with Jatoba accents such as the stair nosing and the custom inlay for one of the rooms as well as the transitions.

But then my random orbital sander developed a fault so I took it apart and then the compressor I use for nailing sprang a leak so I took that apart. I'm having a run of bad luck with tools lately - had to fix my TS a week or two ago right in the middle of the flooring project. The start/stop switch was flaky and then when I went to release the blade angle lock release something broke and the blade could not be locked so the saw was unusable. I'm quite handy at fixing tools but it really is a time hog on top of everything else.

I don't understand why a lot of tools seem to have such crappy quality. The ironic thing was that I had a 3 gallon HF compressor (HF usually equated to poor quality) that worked flawlessly for 2 years - I got rid of it as it was too under powered for serious nailing like floor nailing and got this Porter-Cable compressor and it sprang a leak after 2 weeks. Must be tough when tools fail for those doing this kind of work for a living.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
              Must be tough when tools fail for those doing this kind of work for a living.
              Own two of everything and pray for your tools

Comment

Okay here are the finished photos - well it's not really finished as I have to finish the organizer and baseboard and also install the clothes poles with the mounting hardware. The clothes pole will have an upper and lower rod and is made out of brushed nickel with matching mounting hardware. I did not care for the cheap plastic poles.

I omitted the lower shelves on the right side (shown in the original photo I posted) in favor of more storage room for lager objects.

I was planning to finish the organizer with Minwax fast drying polyurethane finish which is what I have been using for the baseboards and trim - unless there is some reason I should consider using something else.

Comment

Nice job Blue_can. I use Minwax poly all the time. I've never used in on something in an enclosed space though. I've heard it can give off an odor even after its cured. When I built my kitchen cabinets, I used the water based polycryilic. But that stuff raises the grain and required heavier sanding between coats. And I don't know how durable it is compared to oil based poly. I was looking to seal the plywood in my cabinets.

Comment

very nice job, and I see it makes for a nice tool storage space as well.
                    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                    attributed to Samuel Johnson
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
                      very nice job, and I see it makes for a nice tool storage space as well.
                      LOL true although those tools will have to make way for my clothes soon.

So I did not clarify how it was built but I went with 1/2" Dados and then a suitable rabbett on the shelves to hold it in place. For final securing I used a bit of glue and Spax screws. The whole structure is secured to the framing. It's pretty solid and could support a person hanging off it.

I bought a Dado blade set for the TS (the more pricey Freud set but not the one where you can fine tune the thickness with a dial). I was told I would get better cuts woth that set on plywood and it does make good cuts form what I see. Also made a Dado sled although as it turned out the side pieces (which are about 14" in width) only just fit in the sled so I could not make an indexing fence to go with it. I also made a zero clearance throatplate using MDF for the dado blade set. I had forgotten I had online membership of Fine Woodworking and I found some good TS videos on there.

I went ahead and finished using the Minwax ployurethane before I saw the comment about the odor so hopefully that is not the case. The finished wood looks nice (I chose red oak) although the rest of the install (hardwood floors, molding, trim etc) are maple with some Jatoba inlays and accents (not shown in photo).

I will put up the final finished photos when I'm done.

Comment

Here are the final finished photos after finishing the storage and the baseboard with the Minwax poly. You can see a bit of the rest of the room which is a huge mess with tools etc due to installing the hardwood as well as the window casing, crown molding, inlays etc.

I also got one of those iron and ironing board organizers.

Last edited by blue_can; 10-28-2013, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X