X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2412 Problem

Ok, heres the story, I've had my TS for a couple of years and I've been suffering from the occasional bind especially when I make long cuts (i.e. greater than 6"). I've always thought it was my ability to align the TS correctly. Well it happened to me again today, so I though what the heck lets check the alignment again. So I check the alignment, when the blade is at full height I have a perfect alignment, however the binding occurs when I'm cutting 1/2" and 3/4" plywood, so I drop the blade down half way and check the blade again, this time the blade shows about a .10" heel to the right, I raise it up and the heel goes away, any ideas?

My first guess would be the blade. I know the newer ridgid comes with a thin kerf and they could be some deflection over time. Especially if you're using lower priced blades.

Also I would check to see if your saw is parallel to the mitre guage. The higher you raise the saw blade, the more the difference will appear b/c more distance from front of blade to back of blade will cause more of a gap. Causing 2 cuts on each piece of wood * front and back *

I would get a dial indicator and test this. You can get a complet kit online at Lee Valley or grizzly with magnetic base and indicator for around 30 bucks.

Jake

Comment

"My first guess would be the blade. I know the newer ridgid comes with a thin kerf and they could be some deflection over time. Especially if you're using lower priced blades."

Since I'm making my measurements using the same tooth any warping of the blade should be nulled.

"Also I would check to see if your saw is parallel to the mitre guage. The higher you raise the saw blade, the more the difference will appear b/c more distance from front of blade to back of blade will cause more of a gap. Causing 2 cuts on each piece of wood * front and back *"

I agree, thats why you make the alignments when the blade is at full height. What I'm seeing is just the opposite. Zero difference between the slot and tooth, front and back at full height and approximately a +.020" difference when the blade is lowered to ~ 1 inch above the table. The strange thing is, is that when I raise the blade back to full height the difference goes away.

I'm using the Super Bar Table Saw Gauge to make the measurements. What I suspect is happening is that something is shifting when I change blade height.

Comment

got me stumped. Unless anyone else has some suggestionis, this is the type of question I'd call ridgid about. I don't think calling homedepot would have any intelligent answers. Give ridgid a call. Maybe you have something under the table that needs adjustment. I am still a greenhorn and not had this problem yet. Give them a ring and let us know what they say.

Jake

Comment

After some searching the archives I think I've found the beast.
          http://www.ridgid.com/cgi-bin/ultima...=000031#000001

Someone else has had the same problem and it was the arbor... see the post for details.

Comment

I especially liked the last post where JShnarre, Emerson product manager, jumped in and diagnosed the problem and offered to ship a new arbor free of charge as soon as he got an address to ship it to. That was Aug 01. Is that the "Jake" I've heard you "old timers" refer to? Those must be "the good old days".
            Lorax
            "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Yes that was/is the "Jake" that us "old timers" refer to, he did that with several folks who were having problems jump in give the solution and offer to fix it right away. Now I've got to call customer service and argue the problem with them...

Ah for the good old days... now where did I put my walker...

Comment

Christopher: I'm not Jake but if you think the arbor housing is bad and want to swap it out yourself let me know. I'll get you one.

Comment

[img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img] Way to go Bob! [img]smile.gif[/img] [img]smile.gif[/img]
                  Lorax
                  "Did you put the yellow key in the switch?" TOD 01/09/06

Comment

Ok, first off Bob has been more than helpful working with me to sort this out (a couple of emails offline). After reading many more posts about aligning the TS I went back and did a complete top to bottom and front to back alignment of my TS. I think the main problem was my alignment I was setting the blade parallelism with the blade full height against the stops, this would throw the alignment off as the arbor came out of tension. I seem to have gotten things right but its going to take a couple more weeks of use to verify. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Comment

COOL, glad to hear it.

I have a tip to pass off as well with binding. I was getting some myself not b/c of alignment as I had that pretty tweaked to anal retentive standards. Happened when I was ripping long boards just like you.

I recently got a featherboard attachment a that fits in my mitre slot. WORKS WONDERFULLY at stopping problem. If you continue to have problems, give this a try. Kit with magnetic push stick, featherboard, and 2 feed pads was only 14.99 @ Rockler.

Jake

Comment

Working...
                      X