Another Dado cuttings question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Dado cuttings question

On to some simple furniture projects now that I'm reorganizing all my stuff - planning to build a couple of bookcases using Dado construction based on a plan I found on the Fine Woodworking site.

The question is about mounting the Dado blades on the TS. It's clear that for a 3/4" blade setting the use of the blade washers will not allow the nut to seat properly.

According to my TS manual I need to remove both the inner and outer washers and quoting the manual here - mount the "special washer that comes with the dado throat plate" followed by the dado blade and then the nut.

My reading of this that the outer washer is to be omitted based on the wording but it's not obvious.

Also I have no idea where to find this "special" washer. None of the Craftsman dado throat plates I saw in the store come with any washer and anyway none of them fit my saw. I suppose I could leave the existing inner washer in place and see if it works.

Does anyone sell a universal dado blade inner washer for a TS? Any ideas?

Re: Another Dado cuttings question

I don't know what that special inner washer is but it's perfectly OK to leave the outer washer off when making a wide dado. The two outside blades and the chippers will provide enough stability so that the outer washer isn't really necessary.
    ================================================== ====
    All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.

Comment

Well just got off the online chat with the sears online support people - talk about a frustrating experience. None of them could find this throat plate or washer (not bothered about the throat plate since I learned how easy it is to make your own zero clearance throat plate for any thickness as needed). They talk about it in the manual but no part number is given so it may not even exist. On top of that these support people don't seem to know the specifics of woodworking tools so they kept giving me unrelated parts such as blades or not properly reading my question and giving me answers such as asking me to check in store when I had already said I had done that. After getting transferred 3 times and no luck. It was obvious none of them knew what a "dado" was.

For the future for larger woodworking tools I may look at Rockler or other options - at least you can walk into the store and talk to the guys there many of who are woodworkers and know what you are talking about rather than some online agent trained to look for a specific part for you and not knowing anything outside that. Sears has its place but I don't think their woodworking tools cut it anymore. Also with the TS recently breaking down and me having to fix it bearing in mind I'm not a woodworker and it has not been heavily used in the 2 years I've owned it. The tool quality is questionable. Oh and the blade that came with the TS was horrible - I did not realize what a good blade was until I bought a Freud blade.

Comment

Also, be sure to cut your dado undersized if using ply.

Comment

most likely all it is thin fender type washer, and like said most of the dado heads I have seen the blades really do not need addition support, and most likely the washer is more for protection on the dado blade, on a number of saws I have used, if you put a 3/4 dado on the arbor many times there is not enough room/lenght on the arbor to properly tighten the nut. thus a thinner washer, been looking and it seem like the ridged TS 2400 appears to have similar wording, some threads on them may help

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t15688/
          Last edited by BHD; 10-29-2013, 06:42 PM.
          Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
          attributed to Samuel Johnson
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            most likely all it is thin fender type washer, and like said most of the dado heads I have seen the blades really do not need addition support, and most likely the washer is more for protection on the dado blade, on a number of saws I have used, if you put a 3/4 dado on the arbor many times there is not enough room/lenght on the arbor to properly tighten the nut. thus a thinner washer, been looking and it seem like the ridged TS 2400 appears to have similar wording, some threads on them may help

https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/t15688/
            I will try with leaving out the outer washer - hopefully I can do a nominal 3/4" dado with such a setup. I'm planning to use clear pine for the bookcase ( as per the plans) except for the back which will be 1/4" plywood. The pine is a nominal 3/4" thickness (slightly more according to my tape measure when I visited the lumber yard). I need to return with some metal straight edges to look for the flattest boards.

Comment

Okay I wanted to post an update. I tried leaving out the outer washer and that did not work - the nut only went partway and the dado blade was interfering with the housing so clearly I still needed this special inner washer. After more hunting and searching on the web I discovered the answer at ereplacementparts.com. This is a site that sells parts for tools and I have bought from them in the past to fix broken tools - most recently my sander. It seems like someone else had the same issue as me and could not locate the dado throat plate/washer kit and so asked a question on there. The guys at ereplacementparts found the answer. This particular TS is actually made by Ryobi and is badged and also sold by Craftsman as a craftsman product. That is why none of the Craftsman throat plates fit and also did not come with this special washer. ereplacementparts had two of these in stock so I ordered one based on the picture which showed a throat plate that looked correct and a washer. The kit arrived and sure enough it fitted and I was able to run a 3/4" dado blade using the special inner washer that came with the kit.

Have to give credit to the people at ereplacementparts over the Sears support people who had no clue. Interestingly since my chat with them they seem to have updated the parts list on their site to also include the dado blade kit (which was not there before) and it does also point to a Ryobi part number. Not sure if this had anything to do with my chat with them as I left them in no doubt as to what I thought about they lack of knowledge to help resolve this issue.

Comment

Working...
              X