X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS3650 or TS2400

I am about to purchase my first table saw ever. I don't have a shop per se. I have a tool shed where I store my tools and when I want to work on a project I pull them out to the yard. I want the best bang for the buck but I also want to be able to manuever the thing up and down a ramp in order to use it. Eventually I hope to have an actual shop but until then. Which one should I get. I know that the TS3650 weighs almost 300 pounds which my shed floor should be able to handle but I am not sure I want to push that thing up and down the ramp to work. I know the TS2400 is a lot lighter, but will I be compromising tool ability by getting it over the larger bulkier 3650?

I am very new to wood working, but I am looking forward to making a life long hobby. Any help will be appreciated.
    Character is doing the right thing when no one is looking.

This is a question that has been asked many times in this forum. It might be helpful for you to search for TS2400 and read the old posts. I use the 2400 mainly because I needed a jobsite saw. It does a great job for what it is designed for. If I had a shop where portablity wasn't an issue I would have a TS3650.
    Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of good info here.
    Harvey
    If your gonna fix it...do it right

Comment

Saintsfanbrian,

I have the 3650 and it has the herculift on it. I struggle somewhat manuevering it around my shop and would think dragging it in and out of a tool shed would not be practical.

For what it is worth,

Jerry
      It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

Comment

Brian, Search for TS 2400 info under "General Woodworking Discussion" this will give you the most recent posts on the topic - there is a lot of good info on the TS 2400 as several of us have posted our results with this saw.

I have a 2400 because of its storage and mobility characteristics. From your description, I think it may be the best choice for you. I use the saw in my garage shop at home and take it to my summer home in Maine and use it as you describe - tool shed to back yard (workshop is in the planning stage.) If I had the room, I would have chosen a contractor saw and the 3650 is a good choice.

Comment

Thanks much, I know the adage of search first ask later, but sometimes I forget. I did do some searching later last night and have found several people that had the same question. I have decided to go with the TS2400 over Bosch and other tools featured at HD.

I have already gleaned a ton of information from this board and will appreciate more in the future that I am sure I am going to ask stupid questions from time to time.

I was slightly woried about Dado cutting from some of the things I read about previous models but it appears that they have that straightened out now so I should be alright.

Any tips as to some of the "accessories" that I will need to begin my new hobby? (This one is almost as expensive as the last one.)

Thanks, and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Comment

The 2400 is a nice jobsite saw, but not necessarily the best bang for the buck compared to a good contractor saw. Aside from portability, jobsite saws offer no advantages over a good contractor saw, but run close in price.

A good CS is a lifetime tool that has a larger table surface and cast iron parts, quieter stronger motor, better bearings, and alot more mass and stability.

If the portability trumps the higher quality machine, then it's a good choice, but if you truly want long term value, the CS is a better choice. Executive decision time!

Comment

AFter discussing it with my wife, the portable TS2400 will definitly do what I want for now. When it comes time to build "the dream shop" I will get a nice cabinet saw with all cast iron parts. I still haven't totally let out the TS3650 I am going to have to go to the big orange house and actually put my hands on both and see if I think I can move the 3650 out of the shed and in to the yard when I want to work. I don't want to have to continually purchase new tools as I progress in wood working. I hope eventually to be able to sell some of the things that I make. Who knows, Thanks for all of the advice.

Comment

Brian: I have the 3650, and it's a great saw. If it helps in your decision, I roll my saw out of the garage to clean the shop out.

I have about a 1 inch drop from the garage floor to the driveway. The legs on the saw drag because the herculift doesn't raise it high enough.. Consequently I have to lift the saw over the 1 inch drop off. It's a real PITA. Part of the problem is the arthritis in my hands lifting that heavy saw.

I can't imagine dragging the 3650 out of a shed with a drop of more than one inch. I would also be afraid of the saw tipping over.

I love the saw, but I don't know if I would advise using it for your application IMHO.

Also, really like your signature line. Truly shows you are a man of character!!

Woodrat

Comment

I have the 2400 and love it. I chose it because of space requirements and need to be able to move it easily. Going on 3 years now and not a single problem with it.
                  info for all: http://www.hoistman.com http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/index....wwtoolinfoforu --- "I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me."

Comment

Thanks Woodrat et. al. I went to the Depot today and did a side by side look at the 350 and 2400. I made the decision to go with the 2400. Now I just have to get my tool shed organized so that I can get it in there when I purchase it. I was able to move the 3650 easily enough on their nice polished, level, concrete floor, but I agree that moving it up and down a ramp just to rip a peice of plywood in half for a small project is not feasible at this time. Not to mention the fact that it would take up almost half of the floor space in the shed. Not much room for lawnmower, weed eater etc after that. Then there's the DeWalt Miter saw, and the air compressor that I have to worry about too.

For those interested, they do have a deal going on (at my local one at least) purchase the MSUV stand with a mitre saw and get a 14.4 cordless drill free. Sounds like a good deal to me, but then again, I bought my MS and a couple of weeks later they ran a similar deal. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the help again. I am sure I will be asking more questions in the future.

Comment

I just noticed a Sears sale flyer the other day with a new, portable saw. The saw looks to be attached to the legs. I only got a glimpse of it at work but you might want to check it out just to cover all your bases.
                      Later,
                      Chiz
                      Later,
                      Chiz

Comment

I looked at the Sears portable before buying my 2400 and was not impressed with the fence. Very sloppy. In Canada I could have bought the Sears for several hundred less than the Ridgid but it just was not worth it to me. Having said that, it's always good to look at whats out there.
                        Good Luck...
                        Harvey
                        If your gonna fix it...do it right

Comment

Working...
                        X