Cherry Entertainment Center

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cherry Entertainment Center

It looks like you did a beautiful job on that cherry entertainment center. I have to ask? how did you do the line drilling?

Another question? Did you have any trouble with expansion/contraction along the ends of your top where the end board runs perpendicular to the grain of the top?

I built a table a few years ago from odd shaped pieces of honduras mahogany and decided it would look more dramatic with a frame around it. I knew I would probably have issues, but went ahead any way and mitered corners and glued the frame around the table top. After a couple of seasons I began to see signs of movement and cracking at the miter joints.

Good luck with Your beautiful cabinet.

Maby I can figure out how to show a picture of my table on this forum.

schmitt32linedrill

Comment

Originally posted by schmitt32linedrill View Post
      It looks like you did a beautiful job on that cherry entertainment center. I have to ask? how did you do the line drilling?

Another question? Did you have any trouble with expansion/contraction along the ends of your top where the end board runs perpendicular to the grain of the top?

I built a table a few years ago from odd shaped pieces of honduras mahogany and decided it would look more dramatic with a frame around it. I knew I would probably have issues, but went ahead any way and mitered corners and glued the frame around the table top. After a couple of seasons I began to see signs of movement and cracking at the miter joints.

Good luck with Your beautiful cabinet.

Maby I can figure out how to show a picture of my table on this forum.

schmitt32linedrill
      Thanks for the kind words on my furniture building. To answer your questions.

By line drilling I take it you mean the holes for the shelves in the center section? I used a jig made by Rockler. It is adjustable and has holes in the correct places to drill into. They also sell a self-centering bit to work with the jig.

Here is the link - Pro Shelf Drilling Jig - Rockler Woodworking Tools

I know that it would be hard to get perfectly spaced holes doing it by hand.

As far as your other question - the main carcase including the top is plywood and one of the main reason for using plywood is issues with movement. If you read the article the author goes into the reason for using plywood in entertainment centers especially given that electronics can run hot. I'm not a true audiophile that runs a class A amplifier or tube amplifier but my setup does involve a separate preamp/power amp combo and although I think the power amp is class AB (need to check the manual) it does get fairly hot as it has a big torroidal transformer and the output power transistors are bolted onto big heatsinks to dissipate the heat. Something like that would cause issues with wood movement.

So to answer your question - no I have not had an issue with it so far but then again the top is plywood (A1 grade) with solid wood edgings.

Yes you should try to upload your work onto the forums I'm sure all the woodworkers on here would like to see it. I actually use Photobucket to host and then simply post a link. You can also directly load the photos to this site but I think it will shows up as small images even if you wanted to display a bigger one.

Comment

Looks great and well crafted. Great design, has clean lines even the back part and like the full drawers, great finish and choice of the handles. Great job, a project to be proud of.

Comment

Working...
        X