X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherry Entertainment Center

...or otherwise can be called my third attempt at building furniture.

This was several orders of magnitude more complex than the bookshelves I built. The article I based it on was very terse (in my opinion - especially for a novice) and a number of things had to be figured out by re-reading it multiple times and looking at the pictures/photos but I think I got pretty close in the end.

A few photos of the project in progress.

Here is the article is was based on

http://www.stevecaseydesign.com/unli...%20article.pdf

Re: Cherry Entertainment Center

Beautiful!
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I'm impressed, really looks like the one in the article.

This just might inspire me to get off my lazy *** and build something!

Nice work.

Comment

Blue_can,

Short on time this morning, so I've only given your photo's a once over... BUT, let me just quickly say that you can rephrase your opening line from "third attempt" to "third ACCOMPLISHMENT!"

That project is beautiful to say the very least. Not only am I impressed, but I am also a bit envious and embarrassed by the fact that to date I've not taken the time or made the effort to come anywhere close to such an accomplishment. (I'm feeling very utilitarian here )

Keep up the great work and a Merry Christmas to you and your family,

CWS

Comment

A big AGREE with previous posts!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          GAS

Comment

What is it that I am seeing on the lower right drawer face? Admiring the workmanship, knowing all that is involved, as well as the finished product, I just can't figure out why my old eyes don't know what its looking at on that drawer.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by lreops View Post
              What is it that I am seeing on the lower right drawer face? Admiring the workmanship, knowing all that is involved, as well as the finished product, I just can't figure out why my old eyes don't know what its looking at on that drawer.

Ron

Do you mean the upper right. There is a band of lighter color on that piece - maybe that's what you are looking at. I tried picking the wood with the most consistent color but could not avoid some bands of lighter coloring in some places.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                Do you mean the upper right. There is a band of lighter color on that piece - maybe that's what you are looking at. I tried picking the wood with the most consistent color but could not avoid some bands of lighter coloring in some places.
                No, not the color. What I'm seeing is what looks like bumps or bubbles at the upper right corner of the lower drawer and smaller ones on the top drawer around the handle.

Ron

Comment

Originally posted by lreops View Post
                  No, not the color. What I'm seeing is what looks like bumps or bubbles at the upper right corner of the lower drawer and smaller ones on the top drawer around the handle.

Ron

Those are some tiny knots and the grain wraps around them to give this effect. They do't look like bubbles in real life but some of these are to do with the photograph and how the light from the flash reflects off the wood.

The real thing looks much nicer than how the photo shows it - the flash gives it a washed out look but the overall piece looks much richer and warmer in color. I should have photographed it under my halogen work lights - I find it usually gives a more realistic representation of what things look like since the color temp of halogen light is very close to sunlight.

Comment

Originally posted by blue_can View Post
                    Those are some tiny knots and the grain wraps around them to give this effect. They do't look like bubbles in real life but some of these are to do with the photograph and how the light from the flash reflects off the wood.

The real thing looks much nicer than how the photo shows it - the flash gives it a washed out look but the overall piece looks much richer and warmer in color. I should have photographed it under my halogen work lights - I find it usually gives a more realistic representation of what things look like since the color temp of halogen light is very close to sunlight.
                    I knew that there was a simple explanation, just wasn't sure what it was.

Again, nice job.

Ron

Comment

Saw this earlier today and only had time to hit the thanks button. Great job Blue_can. You're too modest on your description of your skill set. I haven't worked with cherry, but I've heard you can't avoid color differences and sapwood (the white bands), unless you want to plan for 10-25% extra material for cutting it out (then jointing, gluing etc.) I've heard you can apply a toner coat to mask the sapwood without really distorting the natural color of the cherry, but, that's all I've heard. I've never researched further. Personally, I like the light spots. It gives it character. When I first looked at it, I thought you had built a double panel side, because the white in the panel made it look like its got a middle stile. I had to do a double-take to realize it was a solid panel. Did you make the panel, or is it a sized piece of cherry ply?

Comment

Originally posted by Snailman View Post
                        Saw this earlier today and only had time to hit the thanks button. Great job Blue_can. You're too modest on your description of your skill set. I haven't worked with cherry, but I've heard you can't avoid color differences and sapwood (the white bands), unless you want to plan for 10-25% extra material for cutting it out (then jointing, gluing etc.) I've heard you can apply a toner coat to mask the sapwood without really distorting the natural color of the cherry, but, that's all I've heard. I've never researched further. Personally, I like the light spots. It gives it character. When I first looked at it, I thought you had built a double panel side, because the white in the panel made it look like its got a middle stile. I had to do a double-take to realize it was a solid panel. Did you make the panel, or is it a sized piece of cherry ply?
                        LOL - thanks for the kind words. I'm serious when I said I've not done much woodworking - in the past I've worked with wood only as far as wood flooring or as you may see in one of the photos the rolling stone fab table I made for fabbing slab stone such as granite out of rough lumber - right now my tile saw is living on that table but I plan to sell the saw after I do my second bathroom.

As far as the cherry - this is my first experience with it also. It cuts very nicely but as you say I almost found it impossible to get pieces without the sapwood. Where possible I tired to have it on the inside so it would be concealed. Actually for some reason the photo enhances it - after the finish (which was an initial de-waxed shellac and denatured alcohol mix 50/50 to seal the grain and prevent blotching following by 3 coats of minwax wipe on poly) the sapwood is blending more with the darker areas.

As far as the side panel - as in the article it is 1/2" cherry set inside the 3/4" cherry frame. I guess I must have done a good job with the glueup if you cannot see it - it's actually a 3 piece glueup of 1/2" solid cherry. The alternative would have been a piece of 1/2" cherry plywood but since the rest of the project used 3/4" plywood it was not cost efficient to buy a whole 4'x8' sheet of 1/2" cherry in order to make the panel so I just used a solid cherry board and glued it up to make the panel. I think the article shows a 2 piece glueup but at the time I could not find any good pieces at my lumberyard that would also be wide enough to do a two piece glueup.

Comment

Blue can, better be careful as your work might piss off the millrights and finish carpenters.

Goes to show you it doesn't take a license to do professional work.

Nice job and writeup. If you ever give up your day job, you can easily get started in custom hi end contracting.

Rick.
                          phoebe it is

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            Blue can, better be careful as your work might piss off the millrights and finish carpenters.

Goes to show you it doesn't take a license to do professional work.

Nice job and writeup. If you ever give up your day job, you can easily get started in custom hi end contracting.

Rick.
                            Thanks Rick. Hopefully there are not too many pissed off finish carpenters on this site

I'm probably a lot better at my day job than I will ever be at this kind of thing but it is certainly something to think about.

Comment

A very nice piece of furniture.You did a good job regardless of experience,you definitely have a feel for woodwork.

Comment

Working...
                              X