X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cutting boards

I have been making some cutting boards lately and would like some Ideals on some things that I can do. One idea that I have is to make two cutting boards of different types of wood and cutting with my scroll a pattern out of both boards and gluing the cut out piece into each other. I just do not have enough experience trying to do something like this so and help on how this can be are any new ideas on what I can do to make better cutting boards will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Zombie

Rob,

Maple and Walnut make a nice looking cutting board. You can use any mix of common hard wood you want, but I would suggest these two. These boards are normally made with the end grain "up". End grain 'heals'. Titebond II works fine for this type of clue up. Use mineral oil for the finish. It's safe for human consumption, and you can find it in any Drug store. Never put a wood board in the dishwasher! Clean it up with a damp cloth, and recover with the oil as needed. Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Support Our Troops!
    www.mnpatriotguard.org
    www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Rob,

Maple and Walnut make a nice looking cutting board. You can use any mix of common hard wood you want, but I would suggest these two. These boards are normally made with the end grain "up". End grain 'heals'. Titebond II works fine for this type of glue up. Use mineral oil for the finish. It's safe for human consumption, and you can find it in any Drug store. Never put a wood board in the dishwasher! Clean it up with a damp cloth, and recover with the oil as needed. Good luck [img]smile.gif[/img]
      Support Our Troops!
      www.mnpatriotguard.org
      www.patriotguard.org

Comment

Vegetable oil (Canola oil, corn oil, wesson oil) works fine as a finish on a cutting board. (I use it on the island in my kitchen with a wood cutting top.) It is cheap, available in the kitchen, and edible. I worry about using mineral oil, since that was used as a laxative when I was a kid.

Every couple months we dump some on and spread it around with the finishing tool attached to my right wrist. The next morning we use a damp sponge to wipe off any that hasn't soaked in.

Comment

Charlie,

I have made many cutting boards as gifts, etc and have always used mineral oil. Even though it can be used as a laxative, it is not a problem. most of the mineral oil soaks into the wood, and I doubt that there is any transfer of the oil to the food.

The problem with using a vegitable oil, is that it has a tendancy to go ransid over time. YMMV
          -Rob<br /> <a href=\"http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/\" target=\"_blank\">http://home.comcast.net/~robritch/</a> <br />Damn, I hit the wrong nail again. Ouch that hurts

Comment

Agree with Rob---the amount of mineral oil, even remotely possible to consume wouldn't come close to seting off a stomach erruption

Don't forget---biggest safety tip---have separate cutting boards for fresh veggies and for chopping raw meat.

BTW---article in this month's Am. Woodworker, on food safe finishes is full of bunk!!! You cannot simply apply anything you want (as they indicate) and expect it to be totally safe. Just stick with mineral oil and you'll be fine---regular treatment will keep the boards looking nice.
            Dave

Comment

Thanks for the answers that everybody has given so far. I have been using mystery oil and it is made just for cutting boards. The link for the oil is http://www.cutleryandmore.com/shop/details.asp?SKU=1355
              Keep up the post and any new ideal will be good.

Thanks

Rob Zombie

Comment

Working...
              X