Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to install inserts?

Hi everyone!
    I recently started a crib project that uses threaded steel inserts. I have never used these before and was wandering if there is any secrets to installing them. I drilled the holes the size specified for the inserts, but they seem to not want to go all the way in. They protrude about 1/8 of an inch. The holes are 1" deep and the inserts are 3/4" long. Please give any tips or suggestions you might have. Thanks, AaronR

Based on a guess:

Remove the inserts from their hole, and see if the shavings from the threading have piled up at the bottom. Those inserts cut threads, the material has to go somewhere...

Dave

Comment

[img]smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the reply. I did check that since the insert has a threaded hole that goes all the way through. I could see in there and had blown out any small shavings that were produced. There shouldn't be nearly enough to fill 1/4" space left of the hole (3/4" insert in 1" deep hole). I think that maybe I should try the next bit size up 3/8" -> 13/32" on a piece of scrap and see if it still mantains a tight fit and sinks all the way. The inserts are being used in Maple. Unfortunately, the inserts I installed are in so tight I can't get them out normally. The allen key socket stretched out enough where the key wont turn the insert anymore. I guess I might have to use an EZ-Out and consider those inserts a "trial". Thanks again...

Comment

Well, it must of just been the maple. I installed the inserts in the birch with out any problems. I still used the 3/8" hole. The maple must have a much tighter grain that doesn't give as easily. Since the inserts fit tightly in the hole, the friction from the tighter grain (acting like a clamp) must have been my problem..

Comment

There's no doubt there, Maple is much tighter grained than Birch, and Hard Maple is a lot harder too.

Best of luck. Inserts are always kind of a pain for me, too.

Dave

Comment

Thanks for the help Dave! Glad to know I'm not the only one that has a tough time with those inserts...

Comment

Forget the E-Z-Out.

Instead, thread two nuts onto a hex head cap screw of the proper thread for the inside of the insert. Get a good purchase on the screw, then tighten the lower nut onto to insert and then tighten the upper nut onto the lower nut. If the nuts are tight enough, a wrence on the head of the cap screw should back the insert out with ease.

By the way, this is the easy way to insert inserts, too.

I'm less sure why your inserts are binding before seating flush, but if the problem isn't crud in the bottom of the hole, it may be that the inserts are not square to the hole. Starting them and keeping them square takes a bit of care (and some trial and error). The recommended approach -- though it is a bit of a pain -- is to lay the workpiece on the table of a drill press, rig the cap screw as noted above, and then chuck a socket driver in the drill press, with the correct socket for the screw. DO NOT TURN THE DRILL PRESS ON! Rather, put a monster chuck key in the chuck key hole (or an equivalent size rod for more leverage) and turn the insert in.

Comment

YOu can use a wrench, if you don't have a "wrence." (Jake: we really need a spell checker on this forum.)

Comment

Thanks for the advice! Actually, the way you mentioned is the way I did it. I tried the hex key at first, but it was hard to turn. So I found if I used a bolt with a washer, I was able to install them MUCH easier. I'll give your method of double-nuts a try. I went to the hardware store and looked/asked for a wrence.. I got some wierd looks [img]tongue.gif[/img] ... Just kidding, I knew what you meant. A spell checker would be nice though.... wouldn't it? Again, thanks!!

Comment

Have you tried to lube the inserts with beeswax before inserting them? Just a thought...

Kenny

Comment

Working...
                    X