Table Saw Flange Out of Tolerance??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Table Saw Flange Out of Tolerance??

I just finished going through a regular maintenance check of my tools. Having followed the directions of Jim Tolpin's "Table Saw Magic" book, I found that a had some blade runout. I took a dial indicator and measured deviations of 0.009". Mr. Tolpin's book suggests that the maximum runout should not exceed 0.003". Now what? Is this something covered in the warranty? I hope the rep from Rigid can respond and any other answers would be appreciated.

You do not say what sawyou have.
    I would check it with more than one blade.
    Go back through the set-up in the manual.

Comment

Take the blade off and measuer(sp) the arbor for run out.
      Andy B.

Comment

My apologies guys. I should have been more specific. I took measurements using the dial meter directly on the arbour and onto the flange. The arbour is perfect. The flange had the deviation of 0.009". With a quality blade mounted on the arbour, I noticed runout as well (can't remember the exact figure).

I called a local service centre for Rigid tools and found out that this may not be covered by the "lifetime warranty" because it may not be a manufacturer's defect. Ouch, I did not know this when I bought my Rigid tools.

Comment

Of _course_ it is a manufacturer's defect. What possible other reason could he come up, wear? I do assume that you haven't been beating on the silly thing with a hammer.

Nine thou sounds way out of spec off the cuff, but I'm not positive of that. Search all the RIDGID forums for flange runout, I'm almost positive that the RIDGID tolerance has been listed here before by Jake or Bob.

Dave

Comment

T-45,

According to Jake, the acceptable spec is .001.

Jake's post

Bob R

Comment

I got an answer of .003" was the spec for flange runout for the 2424LS. However, when i called the service center, they want me to load up the saw and bring it in to have it looked at. Well, i am not sure they understand this is not a hand saw. It seemed to be a bit of a hassle.

Comment

I had the same problem when I first bought my saw a cuople of months back. I pissed and moaned and they agreed to ship out an entire arbor assembly since they did not think an end user had the wearwithall to handle the swap. Part is backordered , due in December.

Since I did not want to wait two months to yuse the saw, I pulled the blade again and indicated the seating surface on the arbor. Found the high spot and knocked it down with a fine file. Runout on the blade woble went from .015 to .003. Apparently, the flage was dinged during assembly at the factory.

Comment

I might do the same. The runout at the blade tip in my saw is very noticable to the naked eye when the saw is running down. When measured at the arbor, i am seeing between .003 and .005 depending on where the needle is resting on the flange.

Comment

Agree with Dave A.---if this isn't covered by a mfg's defect warranty, what the heck is? Was this call recent---like the last month or two----Which saw?

Please keep us updated. Also, interested in how it got solved-----I was interested to read someone filed down a damaged section----since this flange is turning on an axis, wonder if there's a way to flatten it while it's rotating? I thought I read something about this.
                    Dave

Comment

Working...
                    X