planer problem

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planer problem

I just went to change the blades on my planer for the 1st time and 1 of the nuts was tighten down to tight at the factory, when I try and loosen it with the wrench all I'm doing is rounding off the nut. Any suggestions before I have to take it to the tool repair and spend $100 to fix a $200 machine

What kind of wrench are you using. If you already stripped the nut, can you get a pair of channelocks on it or any serrated wrench? The most important thing now is that you get the nut moving, which is going to require all the clamping power in you hands and then some radial movement. Keep trying and don't kick the dog! What ever you do don't spend a Franklin for someone else to do it!!

Comment

Fair,

Drop me an email and I'll give you some tips.

Jake

Comment

Mechanic shops purchase special sockets
        that have spiral cutters inside. As you
        loosten the nut, the socket cuts into the
        nut and voila. These sockets are expensive
        but maybe you can just buy the one you need.

Comment

this is going to sound really stupid so damhikt ok! are you sure your turning the nuts the right way bill

Comment

Originally posted by fairkidfromslo:
            I just went to change the blades on my planer for the 1st time and 1 of the nuts was tighten down to tight at the factory, when I try and loosen it with the wrench all I'm doing is rounding off the nut. Any suggestions before I have to take it to the tool repair and spend $100 to fix a $200 machine

Comment

Originally posted by fairkidfromslo:

Comment

If the fastners on your planer are "6" sided, you might want to take it in for an upgrade. The lock bolts Ridgid uses now are four sided. They are much easier to loosen with the tools Ridgid supplies. There is also a new lockbar. Take your planer to a repair center. They should fix this problem under warranty. Ask for the upgraded lock bolts & new lockbar. I have rounded off a few of the old type bolts but none of the four sided ones. Ridgid made the change to the new lockbolts probably for this reason. Check with Ridgid tech services, they should fix this under the warranty.

Comment

Working...
                X