NEW Router, HELP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW Router, HELP

After sifting through mfg specs, sevearl fourms, touching differant units, I THINK that I have found the one that will do the job..PC 7529..I will be using this foe LARGE , raised panels, bits etc.. Does anyone have any input either + or -. I need all of the HELP that I can get on this I would like to get this in the next few weeks.. THANKS dd

Docdick,
    I was going through the same steps you were about a month ago or so. My goal is to build cabinets and doors and use large raised panel bits. I asked others their opinions and the majority said to get the Freud FT2000EP. So I did and love it... It is 3-1/4hp 15amp, plunges, variable speed, soft start, one wrench bit changes, edge guide, dust collector, 1/4" collet and so on. Best of all it runs about $180.00 online with no freight or sales tax. Take a look at www.toolseeker.com to find the best price. I got mine through www.internationaltool.com ... I am in the process of table mounting it very soon. I seen one posting asking Freud why they were so cheap and there reply was “why are the others so expensive”? Makes you wonder...

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: Big Johnson ]

[ 03-03-2002: Message edited by: Big Johnson ]
    Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

Doc, go back to those forums and search for switch problems and no power problems on th 7529. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that machine has a really spotty service record. PC may have ironed them out by now...

Even without the questionable background, for the biggest bits why not go with the biggest class of router? That would be the 15 amp variety, as Big has (I have one too). All the major manufacturers have a machine or two in this class.

Dave

Comment

Thanks Guys, Made a few calls and I will be getting the FREUD. Next Question "whos bits" or is this a big bag of worms? Do not want to spend high dollars when less dollars will get the job done. Again THANKS TO ALL !!

Comment

I only use high-end bits. For panel raising, CMT or Whiteside (3-wing only) are all I will use.

You get one of those babies spinning at near 10,000 rpm, it's a pretty imposing sight (and sound). Call me a coward if you wish, but I only want "the best" when I'm around it.

If you compare the cost difference of a low-end and high-end panel raising set, and then contrast that with the amount of money you are saving by building your own stuff, it just isn't significant to me.

Dave

Comment

Good choice Doc...
            I think you will be pleased. Watch the speed on those big raised panel cutters. More isn't better in there case...
            Regards,<br /><br />Big Johnson<br /><br />Pictures: <a href=\"http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules.php?set_albumName=albuv85&op=modload&name= gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php</a>

Comment

THANKS FOR ALL OF THE ADVISE. I have made the jump, Freud FT2000E Router and raiesd panel bit, will see in a week or so. I will let you know how it works out. Yes I will use this with a router table !!!! dd

Comment

You can buy the pc7529 for around $100.00 on ubid.com. For some reason they seem to have an unlimited supply of reconditioned units.
                Dave

Comment

Gee--I wonder why (unlimited supply of 7529s)!! I own one (a later model) and also own and love many PC tools. I would have to hesitate recommending the 7529, even though mine has performed well 90% of the time. The problem is, PC has never acknowledged there was any universal problem with these routers and has chosen to fix problems as the owners go to the repair shop.

It has many, many good features, but wouldn't recommend one except under the following conditions----buy it only when you have a lot of routing planned (to give it a full workout) and then only on the provision that if it doesn't work well---you can return it for full credit towards another PC or other brand router. BTW--love my 7518, which I lucked out and found for $270
                  Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X