X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sanding & polishing table saw top

A friend had rust from a table saw removed by sand blasting the bottom and glass beading (like sand blasting except using tiny glass beads) the top. Though the rust is gone, the glassbeading left the top with a slight rough finish. How can one sand and/or polish the top to make it nice and smooth again?
    Thanks,
    Rick

Rick---you were sooooo, close---it's called bead blasting . Now, I'm no expert, but why would anyone blast a surface which is supposed to be fairly flat? One moment of hesitation in blasting and the top could have a depression---well, maybe more than a moment, but you get the idea.

The first thing I'd do is check the table flatness---remove the insert and start checking with an accurate straight edge. I've heard that flatness difference about the thickness of a piece of computer paper (20# or so) is ok.

If it's way out of wack---your friend would be better off taking the top and wings to a machine shop and have the surface milled.

Depending on how deep the roughness is, I've gotten a fairly good results with a random orbital sander and aluminum oxide paper. In fact, to bring this full circle, for rust, I used the same method, but added spraying the top with Simple Green.
    Dave

Comment

Thanks, Dave. Interesting that you would mention using an ROS. I was at Home Depot today and saw a TS3612 that was sitting up-side-down in water. The table top was badly rusted. I explained the problem about the bead blasted table to one of the guys in the tool department, and he pulled out an ROS and started sanding the rusted table they had on display with 150 sand paper. He cleaned it up and went to 220 to get an even finer finish. I couldn't believe how well it worked. He let me work with it for a while to get the hang of it. After about 20 minutes, the once badly rusted saw had a polished finish that was smoother and better than the new saw on display. Thanks again for the info.

By the way, thanks again for the jig saw suggestion too. I picked up the Bosch 1587AVSP corded top handle jig saw at Home Depot today. It's incredibly smooth.
      Thanks,
      Rick

Comment

Good luck with the new jig saw and your friend's saw top.

BTW---almost forgot---if you do us a ROS---just like the guy at HD---stick with 150 or finer---also place rags over your motor and the saw blade/arbor--just to keep the dust out.
        Dave

Comment

Working...
        X