X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 13" Planer problems

I had this planer for a year now,and had no problems at all, a great tool.I recently had to plane some boards 9" plus in width,and have a problem, when taking only 1/32" of material off i am getting a fuzzy looking finish.Also getting chip buildup just outside the blade roller,and i have the 6hp vac hooked to it,and put new blades in,and cleaned both rollers.Still the same results getting agravated with it now any have any ideas that may have through this?Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: james1231 ]

Not enough info here, like how long has it been since you reversed or changed knives, and what kind of wood? Dull knives will pull at the wood fibers instead of shearing cleanly, hence leaving a fuzzy surface. Same if you are planing highly figured wood, wild-grain soft or resinous wood, or are planing against the grain. Sawdust embedded in the rollers will pit soft woods.

I also have a big shopvac attached, and it does not have enough oomph (flow rate) to remove all chips - more annoying than anything else. You either need a big dust collector or simply sweep away the chips after each pass (with the machine OFF, of course). I found that a bead of weatherstripping helps seal the DC hood to the planer chip-ejection port, and a strip or two of ductape helps hold the two tightly together. And, what might be overlooked, you need to stopper the port on the DC hood that is not being used with foam rubber or the like. HTH.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GaryMc:
      Not enough info here, like how long has it been since you reversed or changed knives, and what kind of wood? Dull knives will pull at the wood fibers instead of shearing cleanly, hence leaving a fuzzy surface. Same if you are planing highly figured wood, wild-grain soft or resinous wood, or are planing against the grain. Sawdust embedded in the rollers will pit soft woods.

I also have a big shopvac attached, and it does not have enough oomph (flow rate) to remove all chips - more annoying than anything else. You either need a big dust collector or simply sweep away the chips after each pass (with the machine OFF, of course). I found that a bead of weatherstripping helps seal the DC hood to the planer chip-ejection port, and a strip or two of ductape helps hold the two tightly together. And, what might be overlooked, you need to stopper the port on the DC hood that is not being used with foam rubber or the like. HTH.
      <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Comment

The blades are brand new, just working with pine, never had this problem before I have planed nothing but pine in this planer. It will do 2 inch stock fine, it is just 8 9 and 10 wide boards that are the problem.Never had aproblem with the ridgid vac sucking out the chips.

[ 02-11-2002: Message edited by: james1231 ]

Comment

Working...
        X